• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Setting up the 10% agency"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    .........and properly organised substitutions as well during vacations and sickness spells to IR35 proof the whole deal. Agencies couldn't compete with CUKCo Ltd agency.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

OK I think that I am going to do some proper market research on this.

I will keep you all posted.
    Also, don't forget if it's a contractor-run agency you may be able to throw in some free exchanges of training and case studies for benchees (and even super-keen andd energetic people in contracts).

I'm interested, and probably will be more so after feb when my current contract ends.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    OK I think that I am going to do some proper market research on this.

I will keep you all posted.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    AOL

I totally lack compunction and own a fax machine.
    I have a fax machine and hair gel

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Here's a thought. What if members working through CUKCo can act as agents while on contract? A contractor often knows when new contracts are coming up, and exactly what the requirements are. If they pass this on to CUKCo and this leads to someone being place, they get paid for it.

That would imply a kind of organic networking agency concept, maybe cutting down on costs as well as providing better people for the job.

Thoughts?
    Exact-a-mundo (I hate me as well). Viral recruitment. Everyone is happy apart from the bull-tulliping fat ties. And what is more you could still do this whilst on contract through one of the existing agencies, no?

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Excuse me? Are you talking about NatWest the Bastard tulipbag Bank? NatWest the Screw-You-Over-And-Laugh Bank?

Or Natwest for Fairyland Pixie Dust Sellers?
    You sound as if you had a bad experience I am sorry.

I was just stating the NW as a business have made a USP out of offering locally sourced services. 'sall

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Here's a thought. What if members working through CUKCo can act as agents while on contract? A contractor often knows when new contracts are coming up, and exactly what the requirements are. If they pass this on to CUKCo and this leads to someone being place, they get paid for it.

That would imply a kind of organic networking agency concept, maybe cutting down on costs as well as providing better people for the job.

Thoughts?

Also, is their a way to call it Cuckold.. CUKCo Ltd is so close to a chance to do agents over.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    If you hire agents, how will it run any better than existing agencies? Those agents will work as they always have, policing it would be hard and it could quite easily degenerate from initial high standards.
    Policing is key but not impossible.

We need to drag IT recruiting out of the tulip.

More recruiting sectors are nowhere near as OK corale as ours....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Business set up with a view to factor the invoices.
    Factoring is a tulip risky model - the agency should tell clients (companies) that in exchange of low margin they charge and highly qualified people it supplies (membership fee plus CV review to only allow quality people), but in exchange invoices MUST be paid pretty sharpish.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You mean the costs to break even were 7.5%? That seems a lot, where does it all go?
    %-tage should drop as scale increases: this is based on assumption that cost per placement is not fixed.

In theory such agency structure would allow it change %-tage of cut based on actual performance, ie: if with some scale costs turn out to be 7% of total revenues, then it might reduce margin from 10% down to say 8%.

Consequently if such agency becomes successful it will have USP - effectively direct channel with minimum cost to companies who use it.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Would you let people join and pay £1000 without having a contract? e.g as a shareholder to make profit on their investment?

Sure why not shares.

Business set up with a view to factor the invoices.

With enough contractors on board, you would have a ready made rolodex of contacts better than any agents it is called the clientco's....

Current pimps would have to listen and improve their code of practice if it was a success, and start dealing fairly with their bread winners.

Stop the bs that they provide a skilled on-going service and admit that they are essentially a one off broker.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    if it is a co-op then that is the way it will work.

But if you employ the best pimps in town then you won't have loads of money left. But you will have a lot more UK contractors represented vigourously in the market.
    If you hire agents, how will it run any better than existing agencies? Those agents will work as they always have, policing it would be hard and it could quite easily degenerate from initial high standards.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Would you let people join and pay £1000 without having a contract? e.g as a shareholder to make profit on their investment?
    Yes I would because profits will be split depending on how much money contract put through agency, ie earned agency 10%.

Say you are a member and put £100000 earnings through it, agency took cut of £10000, then at year end it turns out £3000 of this pot is available is profit, so contract gets it back thus making effective agency margin of 7%.

Naturally agency will need to make a profit in order to do it.

SKA Ltd uses slightly different partnership model to ensure members of the project who contribute their bandwidth/processing will share the commercial success.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I plus one other contractor tried this. Other contractor took his exams for EB. We worked out that it could be done on 7.5%.
    You mean the costs to break even were 7.5%? That seems a lot, where does it all go?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    They know the game but work under a strict code of conduct set out in the terms of employment.

No BS no lying just plain english and honesty (another USP).

This kind of approach works for Natwest
    Excuse me? Are you talking about NatWest the Bastard tulipbag Bank? NatWest the Screw-You-Over-And-Laugh Bank?

Or Natwest for Fairyland Pixie Dust Sellers?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X