• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan B

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan B"

Collapse

• TriggerHippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Try asking more directly - "What does it take to be brave enough to go ahead with Plan B"?
    Sometimes bravery just isn't enough ... Insanity helps too

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    oops

ignore

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    You got it. I was hoping that people might discuss what it takes, psychologically, to implement a Plan B, or what prevents one from doing so. I don't mind if it hangs off the theme of my own stupidity and character defects.
    Try asking more directly - "What does it take to be brave enough to go ahead with Plan B"?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
    well we do all that and charge 30p per slides! even cheaper chips!
    Six minute abs!!

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I had the same idea as Tarquin about 7 or 8 years ago.

I had a number of 35mm negs I wanted digitised so I could work on them in photoshop. Sent them off to an online scanner to get them done at 4000dpi. After I got them back I thought, hang on a minute, I can do this as a sideline...

Spent 400 quid on a decent scanner, and spent a few days learning how to get the best results in the quickest time from it. It still took far too long to get good results than I was prepared to spend, especially compared to the price others were offering for the same service.

I figured it was cheaper to find another Plan B that paid enough so that I could send my negatives off to get them done elsewhere!

Just looking at a slide scanning website now to check out prices - 1 pound per slide for 4000dpi including ICE, cropping, rotation, colour correction. Cheap as chips.

well we do all that and charge 30p per slides! even cheaper chips!

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I had the same idea as Tarquin about 7 or 8 years ago.

I had a number of 35mm negs I wanted digitised so I could work on them in photoshop. Sent them off to an online scanner to get them done at 4000dpi. After I got them back I thought, hang on a minute, I can do this as a sideline...

Spent 400 quid on a decent scanner, and spent a few days learning how to get the best results in the quickest time from it. It still took far too long to get good results than I was prepared to spend, especially compared to the price others were offering for the same service.

I figured it was cheaper to find another Plan B that paid enough so that I could send my negatives off to get them done elsewhere!

Just looking at a slide scanning website now to check out prices - 1 pound per slide for 4000dpi including ICE, cropping, rotation, colour correction. Cheap as chips.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    You got it. I was hoping that people might discuss what it takes, psychologically, to implement a Plan B, or what prevents one from doing so. I don't mind if it hangs off the theme of my own stupidity and character defects.
    The Plan A of IT contracting has provided a good cushy living for the past 20 years so there wasn't much motivation to implement a Plan B. Infact it was probably the right decision to not do it. If Plan A is currently stuffed and possibly stuffed moving forward then you've now got what it takes to implement Plan B.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    ah........well if we're talking about "lamenting ideas"

when I was 17ish my dad got Beebug (BBC B) magazine and in the back were a few wanted adverts for those machines, mostly schools and labs needing spares. There were a few for sale too around the 100 - 150 mark. That afternoon I saw one advertised on the noticeboard at Gateway, 50 quid.

Bought, washed, stripped of games and accessories, packaged and sent, 125% profit!

They wanted more, so I bought more. £400 profit in about 2 weeks until I tried to sell my family's one that my dad spent a good few months salary on 10 years earlier. He kicked up a fuss, told me what I was doing was stupid and I should get a REAL job. So I stopped, disheartened and with my main customer pissed because I promised something I couldn't deliver, I even had his cash.

If I'd stuck to it lordy knows where I'd be now but def the sort of thing that could have spiralled nicely with a bit of adult encouragement.

Not had any good ideas on the 13 years since then.
    I washed cars between ages of 12-16 for a garage. Me and a friend wanted to print some leaflets for car washing. My Mother said "no-one will ever pay to have their cars washed". Nor car washes are so ubiqutous that when I went to one at Llandudno recently I had to queue. I intend to make sure my kids get all the encouragement to try things out.

The friend now runs one of the South-East's biggest courier companies. Whilst I am still stick in an IB surrounded by kn0bs.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I bought 25 SGI Granite UK keybs from America hoping to make a huge killing with the SGI-nuts I used to hang out with.

That was eight years ago, they're still in the shed....

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    yep mine! hands off!!!

Have a look here....

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004705.html

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I think the OP was lamenting the fact that the one idea he had, he rejected as a non-starter, only for someone more enterprising to make a big go of it

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    ah........well if we're talking about "lamenting ideas"

when I was 17ish my dad got Beebug (BBC B) magazine and in the back were a few wanted adverts for those machines, mostly schools and labs needing spares. There were a few for sale too around the 100 - 150 mark. That afternoon I saw one advertised on the noticeboard at Gateway, 50 quid.

Bought, washed, stripped of games and accessories, packaged and sent, 125% profit!

They wanted more, so I bought more. £400 profit in about 2 weeks until I tried to sell my family's one that my dad spent a good few months salary on 10 years earlier. He kicked up a fuss, told me what I was doing was stupid and I should get a REAL job. So I stopped, disheartened and with my main customer pissed because I promised something I couldn't deliver, I even had his cash.

If I'd stuck to it lordy knows where I'd be now but def the sort of thing that could have spiralled nicely with a bit of adult encouragement.

Not had any good ideas on the 13 years since then.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I think the OP was lamenting the fact that the one idea he had, he rejected as a non-starter, only for someone more enterprising to make a big go of it

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    hasnt slide copying already been done by someone on this board??

so it isn't even a new or original idea
    gooner IIRC

Best of luck to him.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    hasnt slide copying already been done by someone on this board??

so it isn't even a new or original idea
    Yep

Leave a comment:

Working...
X