• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olly View Post
    ah........well if we're talking about "lamenting ideas"

when I was 17ish my dad got Beebug (BBC B) magazine and in the back were a few wanted adverts for those machines, mostly schools and labs needing spares. There were a few for sale too around the 100 - 150 mark. That afternoon I saw one advertised on the noticeboard at Gateway, 50 quid.

Bought, washed, stripped of games and accessories, packaged and sent, 125% profit!

They wanted more, so I bought more. £400 profit in about 2 weeks until I tried to sell my family's one that my dad spent a good few months salary on 10 years earlier. He kicked up a fuss, told me what I was doing was stupid and I should get a REAL job. So I stopped, disheartened and with my main customer pissed because I promised something I couldn't deliver, I even had his cash.

If I'd stuck to it lordy knows where I'd be now but def the sort of thing that could have spiralled nicely with a bit of adult encouragement.

Not had any good ideas on the 13 years since then.
    I washed cars between ages of 12-16 for a garage. Me and a friend wanted to print some leaflets for car washing. My Mother said "no-one will ever pay to have their cars washed". Nor car washes are so ubiqutous that when I went to one at Llandudno recently I had to queue. I intend to make sure my kids get all the encouragement to try things out.

The friend now runs one of the South-East's biggest courier companies. Whilst I am still stick in an IB surrounded by kn0bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
      You got it. I was hoping that people might discuss what it takes, psychologically, to implement a Plan B, or what prevents one from doing so. I don't mind if it hangs off the theme of my own stupidity and character defects.
      The Plan A of IT contracting has provided a good cushy living for the past 20 years so there wasn't much motivation to implement a Plan B. Infact it was probably the right decision to not do it. If Plan A is currently stuffed and possibly stuffed moving forward then you've now got what it takes to implement Plan B.

Comment

I had the same idea as Tarquin about 7 or 8 years ago.

I had a number of 35mm negs I wanted digitised so I could work on them in photoshop. Sent them off to an online scanner to get them done at 4000dpi. After I got them back I thought, hang on a minute, I can do this as a sideline...

Spent 400 quid on a decent scanner, and spent a few days learning how to get the best results in the quickest time from it. It still took far too long to get good results than I was prepared to spend, especially compared to the price others were offering for the same service.

I figured it was cheaper to find another Plan B that paid enough so that I could send my negatives off to get them done elsewhere!

Just looking at a slide scanning website now to check out prices - 1 pound per slide for 4000dpi including ICE, cropping, rotation, colour correction. Cheap as chips.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          I had the same idea as Tarquin about 7 or 8 years ago.

I had a number of 35mm negs I wanted digitised so I could work on them in photoshop. Sent them off to an online scanner to get them done at 4000dpi. After I got them back I thought, hang on a minute, I can do this as a sideline...

Spent 400 quid on a decent scanner, and spent a few days learning how to get the best results in the quickest time from it. It still took far too long to get good results than I was prepared to spend, especially compared to the price others were offering for the same service.

I figured it was cheaper to find another Plan B that paid enough so that I could send my negatives off to get them done elsewhere!

Just looking at a slide scanning website now to check out prices - 1 pound per slide for 4000dpi including ICE, cropping, rotation, colour correction. Cheap as chips.

well we do all that and charge 30p per slides! even cheaper chips!
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
            well we do all that and charge 30p per slides! even cheaper chips!
            Six minute abs!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
              You got it. I was hoping that people might discuss what it takes, psychologically, to implement a Plan B, or what prevents one from doing so. I don't mind if it hangs off the theme of my own stupidity and character defects.
              Try asking more directly - "What does it take to be brave enough to go ahead with Plan B"?
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

oops

ignore
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  Try asking more directly - "What does it take to be brave enough to go ahead with Plan B"?
                  Sometimes bravery just isn't enough ... Insanity helps too
                  The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Working...
                  X