• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BBC DVDs: FFS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BBC DVDs: FFS"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Just set you DVD player for ALL regions, doesn't matter what region DVD I buy on ebay, they all play
    Unfortunately a sizable miniority of DVD players (especially on laptops) can't be set to region free easily if at all.

Regions, trailers and looping menus are why when I buy a DVD I immediately rip it and remaster to lose the crap I don't want, it's not that hard to do and DVD blanks are cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    No one has yet mentioned the one mega-maddening DVD annoyance.

One which I feel absolves me from all guilt in pirating CDs and DVDs by the dozen, and makes me laugh while I do it:

REGION CODES

Just the words make me see red!
    Just set you DVD player for ALL regions, doesn't matter what region DVD I buy on ebay, they all play

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    No one has yet mentioned the one mega-maddening DVD annoyance.

One which I feel absolves me from all guilt in pirating CDs and DVDs by the dozen, and makes me laugh while I do it:

REGION CODES

Just the words make me see red!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My pet hates on DVDs are nothing as lame as looping music...

1)DVDs which play trailers for other films/shows when inserted.
    2)Same as 1), but they try to prevent you skipping them - come on I paid for the damn thing! And this 'feature' makes DVDs worse than VHS
    3)Stupid copyright warnings in 29 languages after an episode which can't be skipped... makes watching another episode a nightmare.

I want to plug in the DVD, and it immediate goes to the main menu screen. Sure let me see trailers - in fact why not default to them after 30s or something. But I paid, I want CONTROL!
    Even more annoying is when it plays that damn "Movie piracy is STEALING!!!" film (with very loud music) - I bought the DVD dammit! Why are they having a go at me?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My pet hates on DVDs are nothing as lame as looping music...

1)DVDs which play trailers for other films/shows when inserted.
    2)Same as 1), but they try to prevent you skipping them - come on I paid for the damn thing! And this 'feature' makes DVDs worse than VHS
    3)Stupid copyright warnings in 29 languages after an episode which can't be skipped... makes watching another episode a nightmare.

I want to plug in the DVD, and it immediate goes to the main menu screen. Sure let me see trailers - in fact why not default to them after 30s or something. But I paid, I want CONTROL!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Personally I always "play all" on a dvd. Does that make me odd?
    Two possible answers, because I always use "play all" too,

(1) You are not odd
    (2) You are odd .................... but I'm as odd as you

On this occasion, I suspect (1) is the correct answer

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    NF, most of us have just about worked out the stop and go buttons on the remote.
    What do they have to do with it? If I want to play the third episode on a disc then the stop and go buttons aren't going to help when "play all" is selected. They also aren't going to affect the music on the menu screen.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Personally I always "play all" on a dvd. Does that make me odd?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    And don't get me started on CD jewel cases... I think it's Amazon/Play policy to send a broken one every time, either the retaining circle has broken into little pieces allowing the disk to float around and get scratched or one of the hinges has snapped off.

For a product thats sold a billion gazillion thats one... sorry two major design faults.
    They probably keep sending the same disc back to you, just for the hell of it.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    You forgot sarcasm dear.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    We can't have the little lovelies taxing their brains now can we?

Womens brains aren't built for technical stuff. Just childmindin, cookin, cleanin and and seksual stuff innit
    You forgot sarcasm dear.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The only thing that irritates me about DVDs is naff quality clasps in some cases that don't readily release the DVD when lightly pressed, especially as it must be so easy to manufacture cases with sturdy practical clasps that work well. But sometimes one has to press so hard and tug at the DVD there must be a risk of damaging it.
    And don't get me started on CD jewel cases... I think it's Amazon/Play policy to send a broken one every time, either the retaining circle has broken into little pieces allowing the disk to float around and get scratched or one of the hinges has snapped off.

For a product thats sold a billion gazillion thats one... sorry two major design faults.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The only thing that irritates me about DVDs is naff quality clasps in some cases that don't readily release the DVD when lightly pressed, especially as it must be so easy to manufacture cases with sturdy practical clasps that work well. But sometimes one has to press so hard and tug at the DVD there must be a risk of damaging it.
    I know just what you mean. Sometimes you end up bending the disc to an alarming degree by pulling on it before it'll let go.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Quite right too. Using the Remote Control is Man's Work.
    We can't have the little lovelies taxing their brains now can we?

Womens brains aren't built for technical stuff. Just childmindin, cookin, cleanin and and seksual stuff innit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X