• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Had a big bang last night"

Collapse

• wxman
    replied
    Hi-res. satellite image from 1240z today showing the plume being blown SW'wards as forecast.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5651/smoke6nk.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/843/smoke23sj.jpg

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fortune Green
    Wow!!

I used to live near Hemel, the ex worked in the local hospital. My first reaction to seeing that one was "nothing much has changed then" :P

Leave a comment:

• alser20
    replied
    That final picture is actually how Hemel usually looks.

Leave a comment:

• bfg
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    I think you're being rather paranoid. You've been listening to TB again, haven't you? Go on, admit it.
    More likely he's been listening to Ayman al-Zawahri:

On Wednesday, a videotape by al-Qaida's deputy leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, was shown on the Internet calling for attacks against Gulf oil facilities. The video had first been released on Sept. 19 and shown on Al-Jazeera TV.

"I call on the holy warriors to concentrate their campaigns on the stolen oil of the Muslims, most of the revenues of which go to the enemies of Islam," said al-Zawahri, the Egyptian deputy of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by wxman
    It was interesting to see the surface temps under the smoke plume yesterday – many stations were reporting temperatures some 4-6 c lower than stations that were outside the plume. A true nuclear winter!!
    I'm not sure whether there is anything nuclear about it.

But the wintry bit was because it was a sunny day. Wouldn't it have been the same had it just been cloudy over London?

We are lucky here in Tring because the wind is blowing the smoke away from us. And we have clear blue skies again today.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Local business who are within spitting distance of the blast have been affected - Dixon's head office is there, New World Payphones and about 1/2 of all the UK's Mcdonalds burgur buns are made less then 300 meters from the blast.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    It was interesting to see the surface temps under the smoke plume yesterday – many stations were reporting temperatures some 4-6 c lower than stations that were outside the plume. A true nuclear winter!!

I have taken a peek at the upper air wind profiles for today – High pressure over North Ireland has the effect of shifting the 850mb winds (about 10,000 feet high ) towards the North East – this will push the plume away from London and down to the Isle of white.

Also looking at the upper air temperature profile for the are there is still a capping inversion in place – this will mean that the plume will remain trapped under about 10,000 feet for much of today.

Some stunning images of the smoke plume – some of which look like an inky black F5 wedge tornado over Hemel !

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Where's WxMan? What effect will this have on weather patterns?

Those photographs are rather reminiscent of Saddam's "Scorched Earth" policy at the end of the GW1.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Thank god no fatalities or major injuries.
    Hear hear. Just imagine if it had gone off 25 hours later...

Mind you, I'm glad I'm not trying to drive in from north of London tomorrow morning.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    I live about 15 miles away but to the north east and slept like a log!! One of the lucky ones it would seem! The M1 and Toddington services are like a ghost town with virtually no cars around. Very weird.

Thank god no fatalities or major injuries.

Leave a comment:

• messiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    You're sounding more like Chico every day, are you related?

No I am nor chico I am the reincarnation of 'Sir Richard The Lion Heart' .... these non believers of the true single faith will burn in a hell far worse than they have ignited in Hemel Hempstead.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Was in Leighton last night, about 15 miles away. The earth certainly moved for me.
    Leighton Buzzard or Leighton Hewitt?

We can see the smoke from Edlesborough. Luckily for us the wind is blowing it all in the opposite direction.

Wait, I've just heard - we're all saved! John Prescott has visited the scene!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Massive explosions hit fuel depot in Hemel Hempstead

I thought someone was trying to batter their way through the front door, and I live 12 miles away.

Anyone else hear it?
    Was in Leighton last night, about 15 miles away. The earth certainly moved for me.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by messiah
    I hope this is not an act of terrorism.

I wouldn't put anything past those scumbags.
    You're sounding more like Chico every day, are you related?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by messiah
    I hope this is not an act of terrorism.

I wouldn't put anything past those scumbags.
    If so, it wouldn't have happened if we'd had biometric ID cards, 90 day detention without trial, and police marksmen shooting all foreign-looking blokes on sight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X