• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would snowy London be accessible by car tomorrow ?"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Don't. Our Numex 017 died over Xmas and it cost me £133:95 to replace it so we could come home.

(Yes, I think they did see us coming.)

The battery + a tank of fuel is probably worth more than the rest of the car.

Yes, they did see us coming £50-£60 on the Net. Sometimes it's a matter of luck with batteries. A Varta battery cast me £110 in Germany and only lasted three years. A Halfords brand one (140mah 800amp crank) cost me £70 and has lasted five years from car to car as well.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WHS

Why does it never snow properly in Central London these days, when most of you lot are having a whale of a time in six foot snow drifts?

Hiya Owlie

Its a great time to be up North and on the bench.
    Built a humongous snowman with all the neighbours yesterday, all the kids had a massive snowball fight, we tried building an igloo and its just started snowing again.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Actually as one who learnt to drive and spent most of adolescence in a Series IIA LWB Land Rover with slidey windows
    Slidey windows? Slidey windows!

Bloody luxury.

Mah Dad's Toledo had triangular pivotty windows as what did bugger all 'cept let bloody rain in.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Oooo.

Windey up windows that don't cost £237 to change the motor on.

They sound like a good idea.
    Actually as one who learnt to drive and spent most of adolescence in a Series IIA LWB Land Rover with slidey windows - I used to dream of windey up windows (and functioning heater) would have been a palace t'us

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    wtf do you do if it's an automatic?
    I've driven automatics in snow and icy conditions for years and never really encountered problems. What you do have to remember is that when stopping on ice and you feel you might slide is to put it into neutral. This is because as you are sliding even with the brakes on the car is still in gear (unlike depressing the clutch in a manual) which means that drive is still being sent to the back wheels. These even happens when stopped on an icy surface, such as when at traffic lights and you only have your foot on the brake.

My previous automatic had a winter mode but the current doesn't but does have switchtronic which allows me to use it like a manual, nearly.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Get a real car instead
    You mean with windey up windows too?

Gear changing is soooooo 20th century

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Actually most people on Twitter use normal English.

It's those under 21 who I'm connected to on Facebook, and those who I'm related to under 14 insist on using text language in their emails.
    It's fine for IM and SMS. But anyone who uses it in emails or on forums, should have their fingers removed - then they'd have an excuse.

Press the "W" button to switch to winter mode.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Get a real car instead

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've got an interview tomorrow, 60 miles away.

I should be down the park on a tea tray.
    WHS

Why does it never snow properly in Central London these days, when most of you lot are having a whale of a time in six foot snow drifts?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I've got an interview tomorrow, 60 miles away.

I should be down the park on a tea tray.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Buy a BIG battery
    Don't. Our Numex 017 died over Xmas and it cost me £133:95 to replace it so we could come home.

(Yes, I think they did see us coming.)

The battery + a tank of fuel is probably worth more than the rest of the car.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Buy a BIG battery

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

ffs - this place is turning into Twitter. Are you Indian, or simply under the age of 15?
    Actually most people on Twitter use normal English.

It's those under 21 who I'm connected to on Facebook, and those who I'm related to under 14 insist on using text language in their emails.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by newblood View Post
    Thanks guys for all the "hope" . This just adds brilliantly to the fact that my front-tyres are complete rubbish - easily spun on wet not to mention snow. My back tyres are just on the legal tread limit.

But I can't walk out now - I am not a pussy.
    Do not drive in wet conditions, never mind icy/snowy with tyres like that. You risk death.

I have winter tyres - just replaced as the old ones were on the legal limit. The difference is incredible. I plan in future to replace way before the legal limit.

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
    I live south of London and would never dream of driving to Vauxhall. Take the train/tube.

Where r u coming from?
    are you

ffs - this place is turning into Twitter. Are you Indian, or simply under the age of 15?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Last time it snowed the M3 didn't move.
    Neither did the M25

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X