• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wiring a European appliance to a UK plug"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Having had one shock from an old CRT TV Line Output Transformer, I keep well away from moving electrons. That was a real surprise.
    Now I wouldn't touch one of those with a long rubber pole

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    But a larger percentage make it to breeding age.

I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.
    Having had one shock from an old CRT TV Line Output Transformer, I keep well away from moving electrons. That was a real surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Unfortunately

I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.

It's Bracing! Like a cold shower after a hot bath

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    They have no sense of adventure

Er!

I wasn't joking. I actually do that

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    An experienced and qualified electrician friend of mine routinely does that to make absolutely sure he has disconnected the circuit before working on it. It is what he was taught to do.

I discovered that the day he told us he had found out his shed was connected to next door's mains, not his.
    Er!

I wasn't joking. I actually do that

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke.
    And a 12v motor connected to the copper connectors on a 2-pin extension lead does NOT just run faster.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that
    An experienced and qualified electrician friend of mine routinely does that to make absolutely sure he has disconnected the circuit before working on it. It is what he was taught to do.

I discovered that the day he told us he had found out his shed was connected to next door's mains, not his.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Silly things I did as a kid. My bedside light cable snapped in two so I regularly twisted the wires together when live. I discovered that electricity produced sparks. I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke. I wired up electric lights in the garage and discovered the wiring them in series makes them all dim.

The kids of today don't learn these things.
    They have no sense of adventure

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Nope!

And I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that
    Silly things I did as a kid. My bedside light cable snapped in two so I regularly twisted the wires together when live. I discovered that electricity produced sparks. I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke. I wired up electric lights in the garage and discovered the wiring them in series makes them all dim.

The kids of today don't learn these things.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I hope you're joking...
    Nope!

And I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Cheers HAB, my house has just burned down.
    No in-laws at Christmas
    No probs. Happy to help.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    No in-laws at Christmas

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Connect all to the Live pin and then another wire from the Live to the Neutral pin. DON'T Connect anything to the Earth pin. That should sort you out.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Why don't you just buy a European to UK adaptor and plug the European plug into it?

That's what I've done with my Oz and European acquired stuff. Just avoid buying them in airports or Boots as they are a rip off.
    I did, but I knackered it because the one I had couldn't handle the wattage.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Connect all to the Live pin and then another wire from the Live to the Neutral pin. DON'T Connect anything to the Earth pin. That should sort you out.
    I'll go with this one then. Just a bit perturbed by the smiley! Thanks.
    Oh dear...
    Last Activity: Today 12:28

This doesn't seem to be playing out too well

Leave a comment:

Working...
X