• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Joint accounts.. who has em?"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Just one joint account - always have.

All my money is hers. Is this bad in modern society?
    Same here - We have joint personal bank accounts, credit cards and we both have full access to company bank accounts and credit cards.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
    To RichardCranium - Yes, my fish fingers were yummy, thank you. My mummy does nice fish fingers. But I didn't watch The Simpsons because my mummy says the boy in it is naughty and sets a bad example. I think that's so not fair.
    Oi! Pack it in. If the mods see you talking to me you'll get us both on detention. So from now on, I am going to have to ignore you.

Leave a comment:

• Dog's Heinous
    replied
    To RichardCranium - Misquoting is below the belt. Am tempted to report that to the mods. It is misrepresentation. I suppose that in this instance, the text you posted is just a laugh and pretty harmless, but you could be setting a bad precedent here.

Dog's Heinous
    Is this Ratio or Obiter?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Dog's Heinous
    We did PE today and I wasn't last to be picked.
    Were your fish fingers good, petal? Yes? That's nice. Did you eat them in front of the telly when watching The Simpsons? Thought so. Your mummy does nice fish fingers, doesn't she?

Now remember, no posting on CUK until you've done your homework.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Everything is separate - no joint anything

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I no longer earn money for me.

I earn it for us.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I wonder how many who have joint bank accounts also have joint email set ups ?
    I know some that do.

Personally, we do not have a joint account, I have a standing order paying into hers, and as I hold 3 times more dosh when I am working, I pay for most of the big ticket items.
    She likes to be able to splash out now and then with 'her' money, like she has told me she want to take me to Camden in jan for a mini break. Plus she was dominated by a previous partner, suffocated and so she likes a bit of autonomy.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I didn't explain the separate accounts thing properly. We don't have any secrets from one another but do respect one another's privacy. We find not using a common account saves us having to worry about going overdrawn accidentally. But money flows freelly between us and our accounts (usually in one direction when I'm working and the other when I'm benched).

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    rc's point about access to company funds in the event of an untimely exit is important - i don't have a plan for that.
    I thought everyone did that?

As my father found last year, getting access to your partner's account when they die can be really hard and take over six months. However, if you & your spouse are joint signatories on the business account, if the breadwinner goes under a bus the other can get the accountant to sort out the affairs and wrap everything up very quickly. Otherwise... there'll be late payment penalties on tax and all sorts of tulip for them to deal with after you've gone.

And if you don't trust your spouse not to run off with the VAT money, make your mum a signatory.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    separate personal accounts. multiple joint savings accounts. i pay the mortgage and the other half pays the general bills.

rc's point about access to comany funds in the event of an untimely exit is important - i don't have a plan for that. given the warchest gathering there i clearly should.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Just one joint account - always have.

All my money is hers. Is this bad in modern society?
    My wife tells me it's normal. It's the way we've been operating for nearly 20 years, and it hasn't caused us problems. ( This is with her both earning and not earning - all money is pooled ).

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Joint account.

Im the only bread winner because we have a ten week old baby. We are not married (yet) but i wouldnt have it any other way as we are a family unit.

If i couldnt trust her with OUR money then thats a big problem, we have our bills come out of it, if we need/want something we check we can afford it and get it. We're both on the same wavelength with money so no arguments/selfishness.

When she starts to work again, her wages will go straight into the joint account too.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Seems like a sensible risk management.
    How the f**k would you know?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    If you have to plan a prenup or keep your accounts separate then you really should not get married.
    Seems like a sensible risk management.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
    ven if free banking does come in. If you want to keep your empty bank accounts open then just recycle the same 1K between the accounts using Standing Orders.
    End of free banking would have meant that you pay £X per month for your account. Banks would have made exception if you have more than £Y at any time in your account.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What do you think about prenups?
    If you have to plan a prenup or keep your accounts separate then you really should not get married.

I never had a joint account with a girlfriend but I couldn't imagine not having one with my wife.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X