• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Get My Cushion Plumped..."

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Anyway, I've never bothered getting my head around Cocoa programming before; I might as well have some fun on the iPhone, maybe even make a few bob, and simultaneously develop skills that can be applied to the OS X desktop market. Mac users tend to be quite happy to pay for reasonably-priced apps (around the $30 mark), whereas Linux users resent having to pay for anything.
    Yep, Objective-C and Cocoa are pleasant to use. The traditional Mac users never got used to command line stuff and will happily pay for a nice GUI for stuff Linux users would do at the command prompt. For simple apps $30 might be too much - you can get some quite juicy apps for that. Amadeus Pro for example is the bees knees in its field and costs $40.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Do you need a few of these popped in the chiller box?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Get My Cushion Plumped...
    Sorry, NF, we've worn out all the bench cushions; you'll have to bring your own.

But I'll bagsie a smooth patch for you with a good view of Jobsearch City and pop a hot water bottle on it, if that'll help.

Do you need a few of these popped in the chiller box?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    One of the other contractors here has just been looking through Jobserve.

There's a gig on there that I'm absolutely convinced must be the place oop North that I was at in February - April

I think I'll give that one a miss - nice enough company, but the location was so rural that I once had to drive ten miles to Bradford and back to get a copy of The Grauniad

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'll stick with my BBC Micro thank you
    has no-one done an iPhone version of Chuckie Egg yet, then?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I can't abide Flash

Anyway, I do this stuff (learning new languages and APIs and so forth) because I like it

If people are dumb enough to give me money for doing it, so much the better
    days

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I seem to recall that you don't really need to be an iPhone dev to write apps anymore.

You can get an export plugin for Flash that does it all for you so if you can Flash, you can iPhone.
    I can't abide Flash

Anyway, I do this stuff (learning new languages and APIs and so forth) because I like it

If people are dumb enough to give me money for doing it, so much the better

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I seem to recall that you don't really need to be an iPhone dev to write apps anymore.

You can get an export plugin for Flash that does it all for you so if you can Flash, you can iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Not really the market is expanding rapidly with more manufacturers taking on said applications and software, whereas the iphone market is limited to one manufacturer and there's only so much time before it becomes passe.

though going by some of the people i know who have iphones, they'll buy anything that looks pretty and apps that do nowt. Whereas you're linux user will be harder to please
    Yep, and there's also the fact of having to take a much wider range of hardware into account: "Oh, this phone doesn't have an accelerometer, that's a funny width for the screen, hmm the address book is returning values in a character encoding I wasn't expecting...."

It'd be like trying to get the same code working for the Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC-464 and Oric Atmos: more trouble than it's really worth and none of them are just right, so you end up having to rewrite things all the time. I'll stick with my BBC Micro thank you

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    smaller market

Anyway, I've never bothered getting my head around Cocoa programming before; I might as well have some fun on the iPhone, maybe even make a few bob, and simultaneously develop skills that can be applied to the OS X desktop market. Mac users tend to be quite happy to pay for reasonably-priced apps (around the $30 mark), whereas Linux users resent having to pay for anything.
    Not really the market is expanding rapidly with more manufacturers taking on said applications and software, whereas the iphone market is limited to one manufacturer and there's only so much time before it becomes passe.

though going by some of the people i know who have iphones, they'll buy anything that looks pretty and apps that do nowt. Whereas you're linux user will be harder to please

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Hey Nick if I remeber correctly my last bit of advice to you was to go goose the secretary at the staff xmas do - with the possible issue that you would be on the bench shortly afterwards

you didn't take my advise did you???

Nope, I was too busy invoicing to attend

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    what about apps for the linux version phones, more scope there?
    smaller market

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Hey Nick if I remeber correctly my last bit of advice to you was to go goose the secretary at the staff xmas do - with the possible issue that you would be on the bench shortly afterwards

you didn't take my advise did you???

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    what about apps for the linux version phones, more scope there?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Sorry to hear that Nick.
    Cheers SP - I don't see it as a major problem. When it was up in the air last week as to whether there would be an extension or not, I was looking at it very much in terms of it being sensible to take it if offered, whilst actually wanting to have a bit of a break.

Now I no longer have to make a decision

Leave a comment:

Working...
X