• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does the Telegraph web site bugger up your browser?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Every time I follow a link to the Telegraph web site, my Internet Explorer (E6) locks up and I end up having to reboot.

No other web site causes the same problem.

Is it just me?
    It does for me too. But firefox is okay.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Old and foul and worthless, or 8 years, 3 months, 3 days if you want the facts.

Unfortunately, many big organisations are staffed by a sufficient number of incompetents to have created Intranet apps that will only work on it, and now refuse to either upgrade (because they would have to upgrade their apps) or allow other browsers to be installed alongside it for use other than with their broken apps (because somebody would then have to admit they were incompetent in committing to IE6, and allow somebody competent to be hired in their place).

Even the IE Team at MS are seriously disgruntled at this situation; unfortunately MS senior management basically shut them down after IE6, except for a skeleton crew to deal with security fixes. Then it became apparent that the browser wars were not in fact over, and they were reassembled to create newer and better browsers, and are nearly half-way there with IE8. However MS had told its big corporate clients (and let me assure you, they come a long way ahead of you when MS decides its strategy) that they could rely on IE6 being supported forever and a day, and now it's too late for MS to back down.

I know for a fact that the IE Team hate having to support that crock of tulip. One of them told me so. It's also one of the reasons he recently left the team, having been on there since IE2. His current role in Microsoft is dedicated to ensuring the company works towards operating with open standards in all its future activities regarding the web. In ten years, he may have got somewhere; but if he can't do it, MS will be dead in the water anyway by then. Somebody should tell that asshole Ballmer.
    Interesting article regarding this in, ironically, The Guardian recently.

Re: Telegraph website and browser freezing, no issues for me but I do use Opera.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Thank God for that! I thought it was just me!

Phew.
    I reckon the dead wood press are mostly converging in their political outlook these days, in the face of more intense competition for the dwindling number of regular readers. For example, the Times is pretty left wing now.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    My then corporate client vetoed installing it, on the pain of death or least much gnashing of teeth.

But the Beeb and others were still trying to persuade us to download the wretched thing.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    IE6 here as well. Telegraph site was no problems - except I feel slightly soiled.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    My desktop PC, running Windows ME, works. To upgrade IE6 would need Windows ME upgrading. To upgrade Windows ME would mean upgrading the hardware. To upgrade the hardware would mean replacing a functioning box.

And I'm not fork out out £00s just so I can so the Waily Bellylaugh site can stop crashing my PC.

If I try to access it from Firefox I get
    [indent]Warning: Unresponsive script
    A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will continue."[indent]

with the options "Stop script" or "Continue". Selecting "Continue" brings the dialog box back up.

The status bar reads "Transferring data from www.telegraph.co.uk" indefinitely.
    Install the FF NoScript add-on and switch JS off permanently for that site.

I used to get the same "Unresponsive script" rubbish from the BBC site on my aged iBook.

Simple - browse with Javascript disabled (and that neatly suppresses the intrusive adverts when viewing the BBC site outside the UK).

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    PS Actually, the demented Poly Toynbee aside obviously, I am starting to quite like The Guardian, often quite sensible in a liberal lefty way.
    Thank God for that! I thought it was just me!

Phew.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Wot? Wossup? The only problem I have is the Waily Bellylaugh web site. I'm not spending £50 and throwing away a working PC just for that!
    But you are a contactor and a super poster at that. Yes, I know times are hard, but Windows ME FFS - the worst operating system MS ever made.

Think of it as an investment - shirley Jobserve et al don't work properly on IE6 any more?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    IE6 on Windows ME?
    Get an ex corporate desktop with XP off eBayfor 50 squid - please
    Wot? Wossup? The only problem I have is the Waily Bellylaugh web site. I'm not spending £50 and throwing away a working PC just for that!

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    My desktop PC, running Windows ME, works. To upgrade IE6 would need Windows ME upgrading.
    IE6 on Windows ME?
    Get an ex corporate desktop with XP off eBayfor 50 squid - please

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    A lot of companies will not have tested their sites on older browsers now, how old is IE6?
    Unfortunately, many big organisations are staffed by a sufficient number of incompetents to have created Intranet apps that will only work on it, and now refuse to either upgrade (because they would have to upgrade their apps) or allow other browsers to be installed alongside it for use other than with their broken apps (because somebody would then have to admit they were incompetent in committing to IE6, and allow somebody competent to be hired in their place).
    WHS.

One client that I worked at did not want to go through the pain of testing all their systems in a new browser just for the sake of upgrading so were sticking with IE6 for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    My desktop PC, running Windows ME, works. To upgrade IE6 would need Windows ME upgrading. To upgrade Windows ME would mean upgrading the hardware. To upgrade the hardware would mean replacing a functioning box.

And I'm not fork out out £00s just so I can so the Waily Bellylaugh site can stop crashing my PC.

If I try to access it from Firefox I get

Warning: Unresponsive script
    A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will continue."
    with the options "Stop script" or "Continue". Selecting "Continue" brings the dialog box back up.

The status bar reads "Transferring data from www.telegraph.co.uk" indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    My last client co pretty much stopped supporting IE6 the minute IE7 came out. OK, the site had to generally work, but graphics glitches became less important. I suspect the Telegraph has the same attitude.

IE6 is a worthless piece of tulip that should have been strangled at birth.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    A lot of companies will not have tested their sites on older browsers now, how old is IE6?

Even the IE Team at MS are seriously disgruntled at this situation; unfortunately MS senior management basically shut them down after IE6, except for a skeleton crew to deal with security fixes. Then it became apparent that the browser wars were not in fact over, and they were reassembled to create newer and better browsers, and are nearly half-way there with IE8. However MS had told its big corporate clients (and let me assure you, they come a long way ahead of you when MS decides its strategy) that they could rely on IE6 being supported forever and a day, and now it's too late for MS to back down.

I know for a fact that the IE Team hate having to support that crock of tulip. One of them told me so. It's also one of the reasons he recently left the team, having been on there since IE2. His current role in Microsoft is dedicated to ensuring the company works towards operating with open standards in all its future activities regarding the web. In ten years, he may have got somewhere; but if he can't do it, MS will be dead in the water anyway by then. Somebody should tell that asshole Ballmer.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    ... I am starting to quite like The Guardian, often quite sensible...

At least one person round here has begun the long journey of coming to their senses

Leave a comment:

Working...
X