• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DVLA clamping

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DVLA clamping"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Clampers beware!!!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Looked on Google and there is no agreement whatever as to whether or not your insurance is invalid if you have no tax. If it doesn't say that in the policy I can't see it can be legally the case.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    What if your a few days late, does that deserve a crush!
    Usually what happens is they impound the vehicle and give you a couple of weeks to get the tax, pay the storage charges and fixed penalty, and retrieve the vehicle. Lots of people don't bother though - presumably they just get another vehicle and don't tax that either.

There's no chance of getting away with an insurance claim either. If you actually have any insurance (i.e. the lack of tax was due to not bothering to read the reminder notices they sent you in the post rather than you just driving illegally), the insurance company will check the records at DVLA and see that it was crushed for non-payment of tax. So now you have a penalty for lack of tax, possibly a penalty for lack of insurance because it wasn't valid if the vehicle was untaxed, and a prosecution for attempted insurance fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Pretty sure your insurance isn't valid if your vehicle is on the road and not taxed.

That said, if you're driving around without any tax on purpose, I guess you're not going to have many qualms about defrauding your insurance company either...
    What if your a few days late, does that deserve a crush!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Until the insurance cheque arrived.
    Pretty sure your insurance isn't valid if your vehicle is on the road and not taxed.

That said, if you're driving around without any tax on purpose, I guess you're not going to have many qualms about defrauding your insurance company either...

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Chap I know worked on their roving "crusher" teams that used to set up ANPR checkpoints.

Now that would be a bad day out if you hadn't paid your tax...
    Until the insurance cheque arrived.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Chap just up the road from me is going to have a nice surprise when he gets home.
    Chap I know worked on their roving "crusher" teams that used to set up ANPR checkpoints.

Now that would be a bad day out if you hadn't paid your tax...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic DVLA clamping

DVLA clamping

I vaguely knew that untaxed vehicles could be clamped but hadn't realised they had clamper vans touring roads in small rural villages. Chap just up the road from me is going to have a nice surprise when he gets home.

Check your tax.

Working...
X