• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things you'd like for Christmas"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Look on the bright side - if you ask nicely, you might get a BCH3 Fork Axle for £17.00 instead.

Start building one yourself
    Ah the 'DeAgostini' method, should take me 52 weeks and £16,000

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    if you ask nicely, you might get a BCH3 Fork Axle for £17.00 instead.
    Four castles?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Blokart though I'm more likely to end up with a £25 Next voucher than a £2,500 toy.

Not taking 'austerity' too well.
    Look on the bright side - if you ask nicely, you might get a BCH3 Fork Axle for £17.00 instead.

Start building one yourself

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Blokart though I'm more likely to end up with a £25 Next voucher than a £2,500 toy.

Not taking 'austerity' too well.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist fixing that for you

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    OK, I'll add one materialistic item to my wish list.

Nikon D3X
    Sorry, couldn't resist fixing that for you

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Reading that second reference, I wondered if anyone has tried developing a portable pressure suit. Basically I'd imagine all you'd need is an airtight plastic bag or space suit thingie, reinforced with a steel mesh and with an easily sealable opening. Then if this was pumped up with a suitable (low nitrogen?) air mixture, a diver inside would get at least some relief.

The snag is it probably couldn't deal with pressures much more than 2 or 3 atmospheres, which isn't equivalent to much depth. One only has to see how sturdy those decompression chambers are.

Perhaps a better design would be a set of overlapping slightly conical titanium rings that could be pulled out to a self-sealing barrel shape, again with a suitable top and base. That would be quite compact and light, but hideously expensive - thirty grand at least I'd have thought, and maybe a lot more, because titanium is difficult to work with (melting point of 3000 deg F for a start).

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Pah, seeing as it's things we're unlikely to get - why not go the whole hog...

http://www.boodles.co.uk/
    Your flash player version is less than 9.0.

Please download the latest flash plugin here
    <sigh>

Flash Player installed successfully
    Your flash player version is less than 9.0.

Please download the latest flash plugin here
    OK. I'll buy two of those.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    OK, I'll add one materialistic item to my wish list.

Canon EOS-1D Mk IV

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    OK - now I feel responsible for dragging down what is, after all, a happy little thread.

So I'll have a nice bit of jewellery instead...
    Pah, seeing as it's things we're unlikely to get - why not go the whole hog...

http://www.boodles.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    OK - now I feel responsible for dragging down what is, after all, a happy little thread.

So I'll have a nice bit of jewellery instead...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Well, indeed. I haven't got sound here but I can imagine what went on.

IMO, there's too much to go wrong with a rebreather - getting the slightest drop of water on your scrubber re-agent (or whatever it's called) releases a toxic gas - no fun.
    In this case it appears it was user error rather than faulty equipment. He mixed and repacked the cannister instead of using new scrubber material. All the divers involved admitted at the end that they hadn't trained properly on rebreathers and had trusted that their scuba experience would be enough.

AFAIK most of the modern scrubber materials these days dont react with water in the same way as the early versions.

From the short section at the end showing how the cannisters are filled and assembled it looks pretty idiot proof. In their words all you have to do is fill it to the right level with fresh material and follow the instructions.

Diving is dangerous, no question, but not cutting corners and following the rules makes it a hell of a lot safer.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i knew a chap called woosh!
    My wife knows someone called Moosh. Maybe we should get them together.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I'd quite like these things please, Santa:

Thermaltake Level 10 Extreme Gaming Station - designed in collaboration with BMW.
    15" Macbook Pro.
    Wacom Cintiq 21UX.
    Adobe Master Collection CS4.
    Omega Seamaster.
    BOSE Acoustimass 15 Home cinema surround sound system.

I've been a good boy, honest.
    Start shopping at Tesco, save your vouchers and buy the Omega from Goldsmiths. £652 in clubcard vouchers buys you one.

My desk isn't big enough for the PC though, so I don't want one of those.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    i knew a chap called woosh!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X