• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Skiing over Xmas?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Skiing over Xmas?"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Last season was good in Europe, but previous seasons have been pretty bad.
    I went to Andora a few years ago and you could see the grass under the piste in places.

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I went to Colorado earlier this year, which beats europe hands down. Better value for money, better snow (no ice), nicer people. Good exchange rate.
    I lived in Colorado for a few years and as a CO resident, one could purchase the Buddy Pass, which for $250 gave you unlimited skiing at Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, A-Basin, Keystone and Winter Park. Awesome time, great snow. Worked in a great company that allowed you to have a ski day in the week and make up time at the weekend (when the slopes were packed with day trippers from Denver). Since moving back to the UK, the opportunities have not been so available, and having kids limits the freedom somewhat too.

Tempted by Meribel or La Plagne...depends on whether it snows!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I went to Colorado earlier this year, which beats europe hands down. Better value for money, better snow (no ice), nicer people. Good exchange rate.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Snowboarding is for tw@ts who can't ski.
    I was taking the pi55 BTW.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    As much as I love skiing, it sounds like you're doing it wrong.
    Nope, sounds like your doing it wrong

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Really, this old debate thing again?

Who cares, if yer having fun does it matter if it's ski's, a board or even gayblades?

Most older boarders skied at some point, switched and never looked back. These days the reverse is happening, ski technology has massively been influenced by snowboarding and now the kids are going to ski's cause you can do more sick stff on them than on a board.

Either way, if yer having fun wgas?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    A great powder run is better than sex. IMO
    As much as I love skiing, it sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    What about snowboarding?

Leave a comment:

• dropcliffsnotbombs
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    But for me nowhere beats Canada. Best mountains in the world imo, and some insanely good ski-ing, and facilities. Bit far to go for a week though ...http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.aspx
    Could be worth the trip - more than 4 metres of snow in November for Whistler. Record breaking snowfall for November and there's still 10 days left

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

I hate skiing. Did it once. Spent a fortune on dry slope lessons, had a stomach bug the first day out there which I spent vomitting, had one lesson, then tore my knee ligament on the nursery slopes afterwards, and spent the rest of the week hobbling around on crutches and having physio. And the other people on the trip wondered why I didn't have a good time. Tossers.

I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. I wish they'd all ski at high speed into a tree.
    Wimp!

I've skiied down the north face of the Eiger loads of times, although it's a bugger getting to the top again for each run.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Conquering? I just skis down 'em.

And I did once go off piste in fresh powder (with an expert guide). Quite an amazing experience, so I'm not surprised people bang on about it.
    A great powder run is better than sex. IMO

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Key for you is to get a resort that's got altititude, more chance of having snow (Xmas can be a bit hit and miss with Ski resorts), or at least cold enough to make snow.

Austria is great for families. Go higher up, like St Anton.

Best European resorts imo would be Val D'Isere, Meribel & Chamonix is always good. I loved Serre Chevalier, but it's more of a boarders place than skiers, terrain wise.

But for me nowhere beats Canada. Best mountains in the world imo, and some insanely good ski-ing, and facilities. Bit far to go for a week though ...

Great resource, for resort info, ski conditions etc is the uk ski club:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.aspx
    Last edited by snaw; 19 November 2009, 18:29.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

And I did once go off piste in fresh powder (with an expert guide). Quite an amazing experience, so I'm not surprised people bang on about it.
    I did the same in Flaine, good fun but I quickly learnt to keep the ski's close together in powder to minimise sinking after disappearing down what must have been a 4ft hole.

Courchevel 1650 was good too, not so many scary looking Russians as 1850. Meribel looked like a fantastic place to stay but we only went there for lunch.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    It's awesome. Like snowboarding on velvet, and it doesn't hurt when you land on your arse (again).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. ....
    Conquering? I just skis down 'em.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X