• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skiing over Xmas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I'm driving down to Austria weekend of the 6th of December with the lads for a weekend's bum love, somewhere near Innsbruck

Milan.
    FTFY!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
      I hate skiing. Did it once. Spent a fortune on dry slope lessons, had a stomach bug the first day out there which I spent vomitting, had one lesson, then tore my knee ligament on the nursery slopes afterwards, and spent the rest of the week hobbling around on crutches and having physio. And the other people on the trip wondered why I didn't have a good time. Tossers.

I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. I wish they'd all ski at high speed into a tree.
      What about snowboarding?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

2nd attempt:
        Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        I'm dreaming of driving down to Austria weekend of the 6th of December with the lads for a weekend's skiing, somewhere near Innsbruck instead of spending the weekend trying to patch these .Net systems

Milan.
        Also FTFY
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Grächen is a great resort if you've got kids. Season starts 19th December.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. ....
            Conquering? I just skis down 'em.

And I did once go off piste in fresh powder (with an expert guide). Quite an amazing experience, so I'm not surprised people bang on about it.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              And I did once go off piste in fresh powder (with an expert guide). Quite an amazing experience, so I'm not surprised people bang on about it.
              It's awesome. Like snowboarding on velvet, and it doesn't hurt when you land on your arse (again).
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I did the same in Flaine, good fun but I quickly learnt to keep the ski's close together in powder to minimise sinking after disappearing down what must have been a 4ft hole.

Courchevel 1650 was good too, not so many scary looking Russians as 1850. Meribel looked like a fantastic place to stay but we only went there for lunch.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Key for you is to get a resort that's got altititude, more chance of having snow (Xmas can be a bit hit and miss with Ski resorts), or at least cold enough to make snow.

Austria is great for families. Go higher up, like St Anton.

Best European resorts imo would be Val D'Isere, Meribel & Chamonix is always good. I loved Serre Chevalier, but it's more of a boarders place than skiers, terrain wise.

But for me nowhere beats Canada. Best mountains in the world imo, and some insanely good ski-ing, and facilities. Bit far to go for a week though ...

Great resource, for resort info, ski conditions etc is the uk ski club:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.aspx
                  Last edited by snaw; 19 November 2009, 18:29.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Conquering? I just skis down 'em.

A great powder run is better than sex. IMO
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I hate skiing. Did it once. Spent a fortune on dry slope lessons, had a stomach bug the first day out there which I spent vomitting, had one lesson, then tore my knee ligament on the nursery slopes afterwards, and spent the rest of the week hobbling around on crutches and having physio. And the other people on the trip wondered why I didn't have a good time. Tossers.

I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. I wish they'd all ski at high speed into a tree.
                      Wimp!

I've skiied down the north face of the Eiger loads of times, although it's a bugger getting to the top again for each run.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X