• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Double layered bacon and egg sandwich"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Morrison's have square sliced, and round pies.

Aldi & Lidl sell beer brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot at domestic rather than imported prices, e.g. Aldi Spaten 500ml for £1.10 or so.

Even supermarkets remember their heritage, it seems.
    You can get 20 bottle of Becks for less than a tenner in Tescos and Sainsbuys most weeks, the German supermarkets don't have a great selection of English beer apart from Wychwood which is only so so IMO.

Aldi have award winning mince pies though.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Scotch Pies!

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Morrison's have square sliced, and round pies.

Aldi & Lidl sell beer brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot at domestic rather than imported prices, e.g. Aldi Spaten 500ml for £1.10 or so.

Even supermarkets remember their heritage, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    2 reasons

1) Many years ago I worked for them as a permie. They treat their staff very, very badly, especially the least well paid ones on the shop floor. The store managers and area managers made Hitler look good.
    I know a contracter who works for Lidl. They're so anal that he's even been denied access to the professional support forums...

otoh, wifey shops at Lidl in Germany, and a trolley load of basics is half the price of CH, of reasonable quality - and the speed of the checkout operators has to be seen to be believed.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So if they wore T-shirts and jeans you'd move out there?! Seems a bit of a shallow reason. Now I don't think it's un-PC to admit you aren't 100% comfortable with people who cover their faces, but choosing your shops based on this is a little extreme. You don't go to the supermarket to interact with people do you?
    That and public executions, cutting off hands and public lashings for relatively minor offences, no rights for women, no democracy etc etc

I don't really care if it isn't PC I don't like Burqas in the same way I wouldn't be happy in a shop full of people wearing balaclavas.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    2) My nearest Lidl is full of customers wearing full burqa, which makes me feel very uncomfortable and is why I don't live in the Middle East.
    So if they wore T-shirts and jeans you'd move out there?! Seems a bit of a shallow reason. Now I don't think it's un-PC to admit you aren't 100% comfortable with people who cover their faces, but choosing your shops based on this is a little extreme. You don't go to the supermarket to interact with people do you?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I remember working at the DHSS at the Elephant & Castle some years ago. The breakfast in the canteen there was great, a real good fry up which kept you going until the mid-morning coffee break onto the extended lunch break in the pub followed by siesta then high tea. Them were the days (and being paid weekly with a cheque)

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Reminds me of the good old days back in Scotland, the tripple decker: square sausage, fried egg and tattie scone, on an over fired roll. Greatest hangover cure known to man.
    Nope! Triple fried egg, chilli chutney sandwich.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Lidl/Audi is fun for the odd visit, but I wouldn't want to do my weekly shopping there.

Square-sausage is a wonderful invention. Now we just need square eggs.
    Already there. My kids regularly request it for breakfast. Mrs Ruse found a device in a charity shop, you put in a normal boiled egg and leave it in the fridge for 10 mins, out comes a square boiled egg.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I've been using Lidl's for about 8 years. They do some stuff I can't get elsewhere, like proper cheese and decent yet cheap wine and bacon without added water and soft drinks with no artificial sweetener and and and.

Why do you detest the place? Pride?
    2 reasons

1) Many years ago I worked for them as a permie. They treat their staff very, very badly, especially the least well paid ones on the shop floor. The store managers and area managers made Hitler look good.
    2) My nearest Lidl is full of customers wearing full burqa, which makes me feel very uncomfortable and is why I don't live in the Middle East.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Lidl/Audi is fun for the odd visit, but I wouldn't want to do my weekly shopping there.

Square-sausage is a wonderful invention. Now we just need square eggs.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Ahhh someone else who now finds they need to shop at Lidl, I detest the place with a vengeance, the one I go to is like being in Saudi, half the shoppers only have their eyes peeping out. It is cheap as chips though.
    I've been using Lidl's for about 8 years. They do some stuff I can't get elsewhere, like proper cheese and decent yet cheap wine and bacon without added water and soft drinks with no artificial sweetener and and and.

Why do you detest the place? Pride?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 19 November 2009, 20:06.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Lidl's sell it.

They also do a 'Scottish breakfast' made up mostly of stuff even I can afford not to buy.
    Ahhh someone else who now finds they need to shop at Lidl, I detest the place with a vengeance, the one I go to is like being in Saudi, half the shoppers only have their eyes peeping out. It is cheap as chips though.
    Last edited by Ruse; 19 November 2009, 17:55.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    When I worked in Geordieland and the canteen was shut, we'd send out for a few "heartattack-in-a-buns". Blackpud, hamburger, sausage, bacon, egg, brown and red sauce, in a half a stottie.

yummy

The place that made them was just round from my flat. I found out that if I bought one of these, I could eat it, and be just licking my fingers as I walked into the very splendid and worthwhile lounge of the Killingworth Arms, at the top of the Heaton Road, having nicely lined my stomach in preparation for an evening's quaffing of many fine ales.

Fondue and kirsch just isn't the same.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    I do, but it's gone in one weekend, breakfast, lunch, dinner, mid night kebab replacement, 3am munches and so on.
    Ahh, now I see the problem. You're a greedy bastard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X