• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Button versus Hamilton"

Collapse

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's what they said about Hamilton and Alonso.

And Prost and Senna. OK the latter one worked out well in terms of victories and trophies, but in terms of teamwork, not so good.
    Glass half empty eh FAQ?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    They had an advantage, but I think people tend to latch onto a single technical issue (i.e. the double diffuser), whereas in truth it was a fundamentally good car and the main reason for their early advantage was they spent all of 2008 developing it. Red Bull also had a fundamentally good car but hadn't been able to develop it as much as Brawn had and so took them half the season to really make it work.

I think if the double diffusers had been banned at the start, it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference to the results.

I do agree that Ferrari and McLaren will be back on top next year, but I wouldn't rule out Massa or Button as championship contenders.
    I wouldn't rule them out, however there's no telling what Massa will be like after his accident and with regard to Button, only time will tell just how much of an advantage the Brawn car gave him.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Personally it looks like a dream team to me.
    That's what they said about Hamilton and Alonso.

And Prost and Senna. OK the latter one worked out well in terms of victories and trophies, but in terms of teamwork, not so good.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    My personal opinion is that Brawn had a huge advantage from the double Diffuser for the start of the season, which basically won them both the constructors and drivers championship.
    They had an advantage, but I think people tend to latch onto a single technical issue (i.e. the double diffuser), whereas in truth it was a fundamentally good car and the main reason for their early advantage was they spent all of 2008 developing it. Red Bull also had a fundamentally good car but hadn't been able to develop it as much as Brawn had and so took them half the season to really make it work.

I think if the double diffusers had been banned at the start, it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference to the results.

I do agree that Ferrari and McLaren will be back on top next year, but I wouldn't rule out Massa or Button as championship contenders.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    My personal opinion is that Brawn had a huge advantage from the double Diffuser for the start of the season, which basically won them both the constructors and drivers championship.

Fairplay to them for developing the technology and taking the risk that they might lose out later on, however when the other teams levelled the playing field, neither Button or Barrichello was the best driver.

In all reality, next years championship will come down to Alonso and Hamilton, who with identical cars finished with identical points in 2007.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied

Fairplay to them for developing the technology and taking the risk that they might lose out later on, however when the other teams levelled the playing field, neither Button or Barrichello was the best driver.

In all reality, next years championship will come down to Alonso and Hamilton, who with identical cars were 1 point within each other in 2007.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Personally it looks like a dream team to me. Something to get the english F1 fans really enthused about. Man for man I think Hamilton is the better driver, and car for car I think McLaren will have a great one next season so should be very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Button confirmed at McLaren:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8363892.stm

I had a feeling this would come today after Raikonnen's accouncement.
    Great news for the British fans.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Button confirmed at McLaren:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8363892.stm

I had a feeling this would come today after Raikonnen's accouncement.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    New rules next year - no refuelling, which means a very heavy car at the start, which mean the tyres are going to be much more highly stressed and drivers will have to manage the whole race rather than do three or four splash and dash sprints.

So which has the advantage - someone who never stresses the tyres and makes them last longer than almost everyone else if he has to, or the bruiser who takes every oppporunity to get past the guy in front?

Talking of which, Button's drive in Brazil totally blows any idea that he can't race. He was creating chances and overtaking people with zero error tolerance, knowing that one mistake loses him the title. He may not be flamboyant in the car in the same way as Hamilton or Vettel, but he is still one of the best on the grid.

And the real challenge is Massa. He can beat both the McLaren drivers given roughly similar equipment.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Only time will tell of course. Looking forward to seeing it settled on the track.
    WHS. It may be more interesting than the drivers championship, although I don't really hold up much hope for Button. For one thing, it's Hamilton's turn to win

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Here it is.
    Thanks. It's an interesting read, IMO.

Only time will tell of course. Looking forward to seeing it settled on the track.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    BBC had a pretty good on the contrast between Button & Hamilton's histories, in summary they said it was not lack of talent.

I can't find the article, BBC don't appear to provide a full listing of past articles?!
    Here it is.

Edit - wow, my 8000th non-LR post, and I waste it on something like this....
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 18 November 2009, 10:59.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Button didn't even win the feeder formula into F1, but he had a better PR machine behind him.
    BBC had a pretty good on the contrast between Button & Hamilton's histories, in summary they said it was not lack of talent.

I can't find the article, BBC don't appear to provide a full listing of past articles?!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Same happened with Damon Hill in the 90s, who was booted out by Williams after he won the WDC.
    FRank does not like to overpay. He sees the driver as only part of the package.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X