• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does CUK only attract mediocre contractors?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    "tulip hot, accomplished contractors" are those who invoice lots, avoid the bench, don't get too stressed and generally enjoy the contracting lifestyle. Actually being good at what you contract at will certainly help, but there are other skills that are very important too.

In other words, a technically rubbish developer (say) or hopeless project manager can still be a money grubbing sponge.
    Fixed. Profit!=quality.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No one takes you seriously any more mate.
    Shome Mishtake Shirley!!! SAS questioning someone being taken seriously....
    is it April the first.....

C'mon SAS even you don't take you seriously..... do you??

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I'm not a contractor, I'm a businessman and I've hired someone to post for me while I do my businessy things.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Don't send me voting buttons, I'm having to use the web email client thing and they won't work.
    Can't we set up some sort of collaboration thing in sharepoint? A mate of mine contracts in that, I can get him in for a few days to sort it out
    Yes, good suggestion - a Sharepoint is just what we need to get our thoughts in order....

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Well really, Im not so sure. Maybe we should all have a quick teleconf and work this one through. What does everyone else think??
    Should I send round a mail with voting buttons, or do I set up an off site 2 day workshop??

Let me know, your thoughts.

PZZ
    Don't send me voting buttons, I'm having to use the web email client thing and they won't work.
    Can't we set up some sort of collaboration thing in sharepoint? A mate of mine contracts in that, I can get him in for a few days to sort it out

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Surely the tulip hot, accomplished contractors will be too busy either working or learning new skills with their spare time to come and waste time on here?
    Well really, Im not so sure. Maybe we should all have a quick teleconf and work this one through. What does everyone else think??
    Should I send round a mail with voting buttons, or do I set up an off site 2 day workshop??

Let me know, your thoughts.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked
    Or we can complete all our tasks in no time, so we are free to post on here.

HTH
    Which part of "learning new skills with their spare time" did you not get?

I rest my case.
    What about people who can complete all their tasks in no time, and learn new skills in some of the remaining time, and still have time left over?

I mean how long does it take to learn Java or C++ ?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Not me mate.

Long term contract enhancing a travel website and back-office systems. Work mostly from home.

I thought your post rate was too high for you to be benched

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Not me mate.

Long term contract enhancing a travel website and back-office systems. Work mostly from home.

Earning £500 per day, as you claimed in an earlier post, no doubt.
    No one takes you seriously any more mate.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    How long have you been unemployed now?
    Not me mate.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Job Seekers Allowance.
    How long have you been unemployed now?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Hmmm mqaybe I'm mediocre but not a contractors - I'm on my plan B.

Job Seekers Allowance.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    No. Just you.
    Hmmm mqaybe I'm mediocre but not a contractors - I'm on my plan B.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Does CUK only attract mediocre contractors?
    No. Just you.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Surely the tulip hot, accomplished contractors will be too busy either working or learning new skills with their spare time to come and waste time on here?
    Being a top notch contractor is about maximizing your earnings. As such, doing too much work is a barrier. Spreading your skills too widely isn’t a good idea either. Have a skill set, and make sure you are excellent at.

That way you can finish your work quickly, piddle around for a while, then using the “just in time" mantra, deliver your work to agreed timescales and to the company’s satisfaction. They are happy, and your have maximised the amount of time you can work, and thus your earnings…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X