• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much does a train from Cornwall to Scotland cost?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    The current rail pricing model of offering discounts for booking in advance seem to be specifically designed to hurt the business traveller
    But with a growing elderly population -

Just think Mrs Angus Macduff from Aberdeen shall never need miss another afternoon tea with her long lost cousin Mrs Sue Smith from Cornwall, because they got such a cheap fair booking in advance.

If this story makes it to the news, mark my words, they'll be interviewing Mrs Macduff not business user.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    They are not there as a public service.
    WHS + + another +

They're in it for the profit -

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    This whole booking in advance and travelling at off peak times is a joke also. I've had a number of roles where late in the day it has been decided that I need to be in London the following day. Over 200 quid later the late virgin train gets me to London.
    The current rail pricing model of offering discounts for booking in advance seem to be specifically designed to hurt the business traveller

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Perhaps if our trains went a bit faster we could increase line capacity and bring down costs. Or use more carriages, although I gather that option has been ruled out because the platforms would also have to be made longer which would involve knowledge of concrete technology.
    Already long trains call at short stations. This is not a problem with new trains because the opening of doors can be restricted. The is no excuse for the poor train services other than the government and the general public can not understand the concept that the train companies exist to make the maximum profit with the least effort. They are not there as a public service.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    One of the few things I have found good about Switzerland is their public transport. When walking through the baggage hall in the airport there are a couple of machines that dish out free travel tickets for Geneva. Ok the cost normally is 3 francs, but here you get it for free. Now compare that with what you get on arrival at a UK airport.

So if you live in the UK and need to use an airports at short notice you have a couple of choices

1 - pay a stupid amount to use the train to the airport - if there is even one running very early in the morning

2 - drive using expensive petrol on crowded roads and park your car at the airport and pay a more to leave your car than you did for your flight.

3 - use a taxi and pay about the same as the other 2 methods.

This whole booking in advance and travelling at off peak times is a joke also. I've had a number of roles where late in the day it has been decided that I need to be in London the following day. Over 200 quid later the late virgin train gets me to London.

What this country is lacking is extra capacity. Instead of faffing about upgrading the west and east coast lines why not build a high speed rail link down the middle as was proposed a while ago and have the slower east and west lines feed this

You missed one.

4. Pay £1 to use a baggage trolley from arrivals to the train platform.

Always amuses, watching folk attempting to remove a trolley from the rail which it is attached before the frustrated traveler realises they need a pound coin. So they are march back into the airport to buy a newspaper to get change. Luton & Bristol airports we salute you for not allowing such a profiteering opportunity to pass you by.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    that option has been ruled out because the platforms would also have to me made longer which would involve knowledge of concrete technology.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Perhaps if our trains went a bit faster we could increase line capacity and bring down costs. Or use more carriages, although I gather that option has been ruled out because the platforms would also have to be made longer which would involve knowledge of concrete technology.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Would it be possible to get a country who's government knows what they're doing to nationalise our railways for us?
    The Spanish seem to have got quite good at running trains. You can take the AVE from Barcelona to Malaga for €133.60 and if it arrives more than five minutes late you get a full refund.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    We could outsource it to the Swiss
    One of the few things I have found good about Switzerland is their public transport. When walking through the baggage hall in the airport there are a couple of machines that dish out free travel tickets for Geneva. Ok the cost normally is 3 francs, but here you get it for free. Now compare that with what you get on arrival at a UK airport.

So if you live in the UK and need to use an airports at short notice you have a couple of choices

1 - pay a stupid amount to use the train to the airport - if there is even one running very early in the morning

2 - drive using expensive petrol on crowded roads and park your car at the airport and pay a more to leave your car than you did for your flight.

3 - use a taxi and pay about the same as the other 2 methods.

What this country is lacking is extra capacity. Instead of faffing about upgrading the west and east coast lines why not build a high speed rail link down the middle as was proposed a while ago and have the slower east and west lines feed this

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    He 'invested' all the money in improving the freight infrastructure for meat pie deliveries.
    And to the Jaguar factories!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Yes, in 1997, Presscott made a pledge that in five years the UK will have an iintegrated transport system being the envy of Europe. I think I should write as ask he when it will be ready.
    He 'invested' all the money in improving the freight infrastructure for meat pie deliveries.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    My monthly ticket here costs me 49.5 euros a month to travel on any bus, tram, metro or local train.

To go by train from Vienna to Venice, off peak, 49 Euros each way.

Venice to South of France, 149 each way.

The UK has gone mad. Wasnt it Prescotts job to sort out public transport??
    What happened to him??

PZZ
    Yes, in 1997, Presscott made a pledge that in five years the UK will have an iintegrated transport system being the envy of Europe. I think I should write as ask he when it will be ready.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Also it must be a non-profit organisation.
    sounds a bit like mine sometimes

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

Also it must be a non-profit organisation.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Nationalise the network - please..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X