• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Claiming £5 A Day Sustience With No Receipts..."

Collapse

• jvector
    replied
    Last time I was staying away ISTR I claimed £6 per day 'per diem' - legitimately. As somebody said, subsistence allows for unreceipted items such as 'newspapers' (remember them?).
    £6 per night away in UK, £12 overseas.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Interesting....

So the Tax Laws change dependant on your accountant then?
    nope that's what I've been told I can claim, if it's supposed to be less then I'm going to give him a right slap.

I asked about subsistence and was told £10 per day.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    depends on your accountant
    Interesting....

So the Tax Laws change dependant on your accountant then?

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    I claim £20 a day subsistence when working away from home, so hope I'm allowed this... I keep all receipts to support it.

Having contracted at HMRC know for a fact that the civil servants are allowed £25 per night subsistence if away from home.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    At the end of the day, you may need to prove it. Be creative and slippery with your expenses and you should be OK.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Shouldn't these replies be in this thread?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Yes £5 per day if you are staying away from home in the UK, £10 per day if abroad.

However seeing as you are staing at home, the HMRC will let you claim £50 per day with no reciepts and no benfit in kind as you are using less resources and helping with climate change. Isn't that nice of them?
    depends on your accountant, I claim £10 per day

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sustience

sustincene

WTF?

If I were you I'd spend the £5 on a dictionary.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The £5-a-day allowance appears in HMRC's manual under the general heading of Travel Expenses: Accommodation and Subsistence but it isn't for subsistence as such, it's for other incidental overnight expenses.

Also it isn't strictly speaking an allowance: it's the expenditure that an employer may reimburse tax-free, which implies that it should have been incurred in the first place.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 1 November 2009, 21:19.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Right, understand this.

If and when you get an HMRC investigation, receipts are necessary for proof at the time of investigation.

Keep the receipts, or HMRC will make your life even more hell than they do.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Sustience

sustincene

WTF?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Is it only if you stay away from home??

If I staying at home do I have to keep receipts for every meal I eat?? Or can I claim £5 a day sustincene?
    Yes £5 per day if you are staying away from home in the UK, £10 per day if abroad.

However seeing as you are staing at home, the HMRC will let you claim £50 per day with no reciepts and no benfit in kind as you are using less resources and helping with climate change. Isn't that nice of them?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Ask you accountant.
    WHS. I used to have a weekly expense sheet that I put such stuff down on. This helped when it came to doing my books as I didn't forget stuff, and it provided an audit trail my accountant and the VATman were happy with as well.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Sustience

sustincene

WTF?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Does anyone know whether this is legal

I had a contractor at work claim this was allowed but I have not seen anything official verifying this

Any ideas??
    At the end of the day, you may need to prove it. Be reasonable with your expenses and you should be OK.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X