• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£30 increase in Global Warming Tax today."

Collapse

• Flashman
    replied
    Just fifteen per cent of people in Britain worry about climate change and how the world responds to the problem, the lowest figure for any of the 12 countries surveyed. The figure is down from 26 per cent last year
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...te-change.html

All those pointless Wind farms, those stupid green taxes, all that green propaganda.

When are those witless British politicians going to listen? No_one_CARES

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    If, due to invention in the future, it can be proven that aircraft travel is 100 green, will they stop the taxes ?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    This is yet another nail in the coffin of UK airports no longer acting as global hubs for long haul carriers. If this carries on then there will be almost no flights outside of the EU from the UK. I feel for BA and Virgin whose businesses are being undermined like this. I bet the Dutch, French, Belgians, Germans are rubbing their hands at this. How can it possibly be "green" to first of all fly east to Amsterdam or Frankfurt to then go west to Florida/California/South America etc... Thousands of folk will be doing this every day.
    So what? Why do we have to have half of Europe and the Septics stopping off here on the way to somewhere else? The fewer planes landing here the better, less noise and pollution's fine with me, and we might start making and growing a few more things. Flying is such a hellish experience anyway, it'd suit me if it cost 5 times as much.

The government are the worst hypocrites though - charging "green" (don't make me laugh) taxes and steamrollering airport expansions at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    This is yet another nail in the coffin of UK airports no longer acting as global hubs for long haul carriers. If this carries on then there will be almost no flights outside of the EU from the UK. I feel for BA and Virgin whose businesses are being undermined like this. I bet the Dutch, French, Belgians, Germans are rubbing their hands at this. How can it possibly be "green" to first of all fly east to Amsterdam or Frankfurt to then go west to Florida/California/South America etc... Thousands of folk will be doing this every day.
    The only UK "Hub" airport is Heathrow which personally I would avoid tax or no tax

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They should tax short haul flights heavily instead - this will push folks to trains etc.

Taxing long haul is pointless - there is no viable quick way to get to USA otherwise: this is revenue stream, not tax designed to change behavior.
    yes hello - the government does not want to change behaviour they want to make more money out of that behaviour - cf tobacco tax, alcohol tax, fuel tax, death tax etc etc etc etc etc

bunch of robbing tw@ts

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy-Bob View Post
    Is the tax used to grow trees?
    Yes, Gordon is growing money trees as we speak.

Leave a comment:

• Billy-Bob
    replied
    Is the tax used to grow trees?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Hello ?

Boats !

Not the smelly, nasty ones that use petrol or whatever it is they use to drive engines, but the windy-type ones.

And the "yes but they are slow" argument is not allowed.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The most fuel efficient means of airtravel is to refuel every 5000 miles or so, apparently, because this distance optimises the cost of carrying fuel (perhaps 40% of take-off weight) versus the cost of reaching cruising height again. Doing so would likely increase costs for airlines though, in lost time and from ditching in the ocean and sinking to the bottom on some routes.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They should tax short haul flights heavily instead - this will push folks to trains etc.

Taxing long haul is pointless - there is no viable quick way to get to USA otherwise: this is revenue stream, not tax designed to change behavior.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    £30 increase in Global Warming Tax today.

Air Passenger Duty on long haul journeys over 6,000 miles up from £80 to £110. The government has cited environmental reasons for the rise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8336373.stm

Passengers can avoid paying tax on the whole journey by changing planes on the Continent, where the tax does not apply. Alternatively get the Eurostar to Brussels to fly from there paying no tax.
    Not sure this workaround will last for long (and surely adding a few hours to the journey time and the Eurostar fare will mean you don't save the £110 cost?). Our government may be world leaders at introducing stealth taxes, but it won't be long before other countries copy this way of increasing revenue. A fairly easy way of increasing tax without hitting genuine poor (who can't afford long haul trips anyway) whilst promoting it as a way of addressing environmental concerns.... A bit of a government no-brainer really. Will the money raised really help stop climate change? Of course not.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So they should lower tax on the shortest routes? Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Eco Terrorist!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    started a topic £30 increase in Global Warming Tax today.

Air Passenger Duty on long haul journeys over 6,000 miles up from £80 to £110. The government has cited environmental reasons for the rise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8336373.stm

Passengers can avoid paying tax on the whole journey by changing planes on the Continent, where the tax does not apply. Alternatively get the Eurostar to Brussels to fly from there paying no tax.

Working...
X