• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Postal Strike - Do you have sympathy for the the posties?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Unfortunately most management don't have a clue... generally they're the morons - that's why they're in management, no good at anything productive. HTH
    Typical petty bitching.

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Why ever not? Many companies have union representatives on their boards.
    I wouldn't be happy if I employ a programmer and they start telling me how to run the company. Sure, I'd like to think I'd welcome their input but if they get confrontational when I don't act as they want, they'd be on thin ice.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Incompetent postmen is a widespread problem. Nearly everyone one I meet has problems with mail incorrectly delivered. I get load of mail wrongly delivered not to mention missing bank card, statements, tax discs etc.
    In our last place we stayed next to a doctor's surgery and with the GF being a doctor herself the postmen used to deliver her mail to the surgery.

The spud nuts were delivering mail to a title and not to an address.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I don't want to come across as glib but I've not had a problem other than the odd elastic band being left on my drive, maybe people are more honest in the west country?

Up the workers! ...In the the west country at least.
    I may have delivered your mail if you are in BS8 or BS9. Most of the posties in the Westury-on-Trym office are pretty decent, hardworking and honest. One was done for nicking credit cards though. I doubt few on here could handle the job for a week. That said, some of the reforms are necessary - using walksort machines for example - walksorting by hand is soul destroying and time consuming, requiring around 1000 street names to be memorised.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I dont think you can make such a sweeping statement after just a few hundred incidents of incompetence by your postie.

I don't want to come across as glib but I've not had a problem other than the odd elastic band being left on my drive, maybe people are more honest in the west country?

Up the workers! ...In the the west country at least.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I vote yes. But only because their against Mandleson and the current government. Otherwise, they're lazy and workshy.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I dont think you can make such a sweeping statement after just a few hundred incidents of incompetence by your postie.

Incompetent postmen is a widespread problem. Nearly everyone one I meet has problems with mail incorrectly delivered. I get load of mail wrongly delivered not to mention missing bank card, statements, tax discs etc.

My latest gripe is that the postman it posting recorded delivery letters without asking for a signature. I looked up one item today and the postman has signed it for me, printing my name (wrongly spelt) and forging my signature. I am so sick to death with the postmen do much and as far as I care they can sack the f**king lot.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    That is not the same thing.

Do you think you could effectively run a company if you told your staff to do something and when they refused you had no comeback?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They're special cases... I'm talking about companies who employ people as employees. Saying your postman should have a say in the national postal service's 10-year-plan is like saying a shelf-stacker in Tesco should be consulted on corporate strategy.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Is it? What about co-ops and other employee owned companies? Most small companies are partnerships...
    They're special cases... I'm talking about companies who employ people as employees. Saying your postman should have a say in the national postal service's 10-year-plan is like saying a shelf-stacker in Tesco should be consulted on corporate strategy.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    What's that got to do with anything? In any business the workers think they know better than management... but workers thinking they have the right to control how a company is run is idiotic. That's kind of the point of an employer-employee relationship.
    Is it? What about co-ops and other employee owned companies? Most small companies are partnerships...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Unfortunately most management don't have a clue... generally they're the morons - that's why they're in management, no good at anything productive. HTH
    What's that got to do with anything? In any business the workers think they know better than management... but workers thinking they have the right to control how a company is run is idiotic. That's kind of the point of an employer-employee relationship.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Well it certainly is not management's fault my post keeps getting put in the neighbours door, it was not management's fault when all my neighbours kids birthday cards where found opened in a bin up the road. It was not a manager that got caught with 60,000 items of mail in his flat near me, it Was not a manager that knocked my 4 tickets to a cup final, it was not a manager that told me they were definetly stolen, it was not a manager that lost 2 registered delivery Brian Wilson tickets in his bag only for them to be put through the door 2 months later with "sorry for the lateness and damage" written on it. It was not a manager that refused to let me register a complaint for both those incidents (her manager did)

The staff are totally useless and deserve to lose their jobs.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Well it certainly is not management's fault my post keeps getting put in the neighbours door, it was not management's fault when all my neighbours kids birthday cards where found opened in a bin up the road. It was not a manager that got caught with 60,000 items of mail in his flat near me, it Was not a manager that knocked my 4 tickets to a cup final, it was not a manager that told me they were definetly stolen, it was not a manager that lost 2 registered delivery Brian Wilson tickets in his bag only for them to be put through the door 2 months later with "sorry for the lateness and damage" written on it. It was not a manager that refused to let me register a complaint for both those incidents (her manager did)

The staff are totally useless and deserve to lose their jobs.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    I loved the quote from a postie they played on the news quite a lot, I'll have to paraphrase as I forget the exact words: "it's got to the point management have one idea where to take the company and we have another". Why the hell do you think anyone should listen to you, that's what management's for you moron!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I loved the quote from a postie they played on the news quite a lot, I'll have to paraphrase as I forget the exact words: "it's got to the point management have one idea where to take the company and we have another". Why the hell do you think anyone should listen to you, that's what management's for you moron!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X