• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The government is to scrap the 'appalling' ICT GCSE"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I'm not sure that's relevant at A-level. I got taught that sort of thing in my degree (electronic eng).
    You might be right. I did that at OND level, which was useful knowledge for 3GL developers in those days, and vital for assemblers. Probably not any more though.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Can't see much on understanding how the hardware works, but I didn't click all the links.
    I'm not sure that's relevant at A-level. I got taught that sort of thing in my degree (electronic eng).

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Agreed. It's interesting that they start off by teaching the meaning of data, data protection law, accuracy, etc. I wonder if that bores some students into submission?

Can't see much on understanding how the hardware works, but I didn't click all the links.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Can't remember what it used to cover - I didn't do Comp Sci at university.

These days, it probably covers switching it on, using facebook, and how to twitter. But they aren't dumbing down the A-levels. Oh no, definitely not.
    Doesn't look too bad...

http://www.ict-teacher.com/Alevel.html

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Does the A-level cover processors, instructions, code and storage efficiency, latency, and all that malarky?
    Can't remember what it used to cover - I didn't do Comp Sci at university.

These days, it probably covers switching it on, using facebook, and how to twitter. But they aren't dumbing down the A-levels. Oh no, definitely not.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    I did a scottish standrad grade (scottish GCSE) in computing studies, and it covered programming (in comal but still programming), networking, databases, hardware etc, was actually really good from what i remember. We covered the "this is a word processor" before the GCSE stage.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    An ICT GCSE.

Is this to teach our next generation of managers on how to bring over foreign workers on ICT visas?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Does the A-level cover processors, instructions, code and storage efficiency, latency, and all that malarky?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I was a little saddened this year when I realized that my old school doesn't teach A level computer science any more - I wouldn't be where I am today (and no, I don't mean sat at home on the sofa because I can't find any work) if it wasn't for doing Computer Science.
    I did A-level computer science without doing the lessons; i.e. just worked through some text books and sat the exam. I didn't do it originally as everybody said it was a waste of time subject, and if you wanted to do computer science at university (which I did), they were only interested in maths. The two of us that did it that way got A's, and went on to university computing courses, and I think all the people that actually took the subject properly got no better than C's and I'm not sure if any of them went to university at all.

It seems not being able to teach IT usefully in school is nothing new.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    My son has a 1-to-1 IT teacher becasue of his disability and his teacher is seriously rubbish. I guess that's why he is teaching it!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    My son started doing ICT but gave up on it because he and most of the rest of the class already knew more than the teacher. Lessons revolved around how to use different menu options in MS Word or Excel.
    That kind of thing was being taught as part of my wife's degree - I ended up doing the coursework for her because it was just easier, and she didn't understand it.

She was training to be a teacher.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    My son started doing ICT but gave up on it because he and most of the rest of the class already knew more than the teacher. Lessons revolved around how to use different menu options in MS Word or Excel.

Waste of time as a GCSE.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It's not, when the definition of IT is how to write a letter in MS Word, or how to search the internet.

IMO, this sort of thing should be taught in PSHE or IL, not as a separate subject.
    WHS - it needs to be covered somewhere in the curriculum (for those that don't use computers at home, or don't have internet), but not as a GCSE.

I was a little saddened this year when I realized that my old school doesn't teach A level computer science any more - I wouldn't be where I am today (and no, I don't mean sat at home on the sofa because I can't find any work) if it wasn't for doing Computer Science.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    We're all doomed dinosaurs

From the article:
    But many children were already IT literate before they started the GCSE course. A 15-year-old who had taken to developing iPhone applications in their spare time was typically discovering that the ICT GCSE was not what they had expected.
    From TPD:
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Got a "Hello World" app running on my iPhone!
    The forum's über-guru is just a little boy!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    OK, my friend Google tells me what PSHE is, but WTF is IL?
    Integrated Learning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X