• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The government is to scrap the 'appalling' ICT GCSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's not, when the definition of IT is how to write a letter in MS Word, or how to search the internet.

IMO, this sort of thing should be taught in PSHE or IL, not as a separate subject.
    WHS - it needs to be covered somewhere in the curriculum (for those that don't use computers at home, or don't have internet), but not as a GCSE.

I was a little saddened this year when I realized that my old school doesn't teach A level computer science any more - I wouldn't be where I am today (and no, I don't mean sat at home on the sofa because I can't find any work) if it wasn't for doing Computer Science.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My son started doing ICT but gave up on it because he and most of the rest of the class already knew more than the teacher. Lessons revolved around how to use different menu options in MS Word or Excel.

Waste of time as a GCSE.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        My son started doing ICT but gave up on it because he and most of the rest of the class already knew more than the teacher. Lessons revolved around how to use different menu options in MS Word or Excel.
        That kind of thing was being taught as part of my wife's degree - I ended up doing the coursework for her because it was just easier, and she didn't understand it.

She was training to be a teacher.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

My son has a 1-to-1 IT teacher becasue of his disability and his teacher is seriously rubbish. I guess that's why he is teaching it!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I was a little saddened this year when I realized that my old school doesn't teach A level computer science any more - I wouldn't be where I am today (and no, I don't mean sat at home on the sofa because I can't find any work) if it wasn't for doing Computer Science.
            I did A-level computer science without doing the lessons; i.e. just worked through some text books and sat the exam. I didn't do it originally as everybody said it was a waste of time subject, and if you wanted to do computer science at university (which I did), they were only interested in maths. The two of us that did it that way got A's, and went on to university computing courses, and I think all the people that actually took the subject properly got no better than C's and I'm not sure if any of them went to university at all.

It seems not being able to teach IT usefully in school is nothing new.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Does the A-level cover processors, instructions, code and storage efficiency, latency, and all that malarky?

Comment

An ICT GCSE.

Is this to teach our next generation of managers on how to bring over foreign workers on ICT visas?

Comment

I did a scottish standrad grade (scottish GCSE) in computing studies, and it covered programming (in comal but still programming), networking, databases, hardware etc, was actually really good from what i remember. We covered the "this is a word processor" before the GCSE stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Does the A-level cover processors, instructions, code and storage efficiency, latency, and all that malarky?
                    Can't remember what it used to cover - I didn't do Comp Sci at university.

These days, it probably covers switching it on, using facebook, and how to twitter. But they aren't dumbing down the A-levels. Oh no, definitely not.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Can't remember what it used to cover - I didn't do Comp Sci at university.

These days, it probably covers switching it on, using facebook, and how to twitter. But they aren't dumbing down the A-levels. Oh no, definitely not.
                      Doesn't look too bad...

http://www.ict-teacher.com/Alevel.html
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X