• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Running results in pain"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Does anyone know if humans are supposedly 'designed' for long-distance running? Or are we made for walking with short sprints to escape predators?
    I would imagine that yonks ago, before we had much technology, the main factor would be the energy balance sheet. If you can get enough energy in without too much effort, thats good, but you might have to gamble on getting loads of energy in by expending a lot of effort.

Apart from the exhausting the prey example, I dont see where being a long distance runner could generate a load of energy

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Does anyone know if humans are supposedly 'designed' for long-distance running? Or are we made for walking with short sprints to escape predators?
    Some African tribes hunt by exhausting their prey. Although their quarry (including lions) succumb to heat exhaustion I gather rather than plain old exhaustion, as we are able to lose heat more efficiently, and the quarry is apt to move in sprint bursts which eventually cooks them. When they eventually catch up to the thing, it's almost dead. I think we are carp sprinters, but good on endurance.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Strange as it may seem to you, not everyone has the time to sit on CUK all day every day .......blah blah sulk etc.......
    Aw diddums. Never mind, you keep going with the massages if you think they help. Those of us that have actually done real sport can make our own judgments based on experience and leave lightweights like you to blunder around with your "quack" solutions.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Strange as it may seem to you, not everyone has the time to sit on CUK all day every day to see what inane drivel people like you come out with. I note the resident doctor hater has pitched in as well - but I guess it gives you both something to do so there's no harm in it I suppose.

I would try suggesting that you only post about things you know a little bit about - but that would mean you wouldn't be able to post anything at all, and you would have to find something else to entertain yourself
    I suppose you mean me. I don't hate doctors and you would do well to take your own advice with regard to not posting about things you know nothing about. What is your speciality anyway? I've yet to see anything intelligent or of significance come through in your postings.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Took your time. Waiting for the steam to stop coming out of your ears were you?
    Strange as it may seem to you, not everyone has the time to sit on CUK all day every day to see what inane drivel people like you come out with. I note the resident doctor hater has pitched in as well - but I guess it gives you both something to do so there's no harm in it I suppose.

I would try suggesting that you only post about things you know a little bit about - but that would mean you wouldn't be able to post anything at all, and you would have to find something else to entertain yourself

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    It gives me a hard-on!
    Yeah, but that's mostly a psychological response

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Massage keeps muscles loose, prevents cramping and reduces the likelihood of tears and sprains.
    Perhaps you ought to try and get someone to massage your brain, that might stop you getting so uptight?

Anyway, you best ease back on the exercising, you seem a bit delicate for all that physical exertion. Stick to train-spotting, that seems to be more up your street.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Hmm, that's true. I was imaging loose muscles. Healthy muscles are taut rather than loose though and the body expends quite a bit of energy, even on inactive muscle, to keep them that way. You need a bit a flexibility in the whole system, but too much is also probably a bad thing, and I doubt massage changes muscle looseness.
    It gives me a hard-on!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Massages are just meant to get rid of the acid after a work out where you have been above your lactic threshold for too long.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Hmm, that's true. I was imaging loose muscles. Healthy muscle are taut rather than loose though and the body expends quite a bit of energy, even on inactive muscle, to keep them that way. You need a bit a flexibility in the whole system but too much is also probably a bad thing and I doubt massage changes muscle looseness.
    When I was playing sport every week it was a good way to get the blood flowing around any knocks & knots in the muscles (from poor warm downs & rubbish stretching) and hence reduce recovery time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    A flexibility test is normally a good indicator...
    Hmm, that's true. I was imaging loose muscles. Healthy muscles are taut rather than loose though and the body expends quite a bit of energy, even on inactive muscle, to keep them that way. You need a bit a flexibility in the whole system, but too much is also probably a bad thing, and I doubt massage changes muscle looseness.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    How the flip do you measure "muscle looseness"? That's one for the quackery books
    A flexibility test is normally a good indicator...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Massage keeps muscles loose, prevents cramping and reduces the likelihood of tears and sprains. Whatever your age. Many top flight sportsmen (most famously a certain Swiss tennis player who has a habit of winning everything) have regular massages. Presumably you think he is too old too?

Congratulations on making yourself look an idiot.
    Any benefits [from massaging] are likely more psychological than physiological.

It might well stimulate a response in an injured area (given that we do naturally rub injured areas), but in some cases doing so can create longer term damage, and get you locked up for 16 weeks. "muscle loosening" is unlikely to be going on. How the flip do you measure "muscle looseness"? That's one for the quackery books

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Massage keeps muscles loose, prevents cramping and reduces the likelihood of tears and sprains. Whatever your age. Many top flight sportsmen (most famously a certain Swiss tennis player who has a habit of winning everything) have regular massages. Presumably you think he is too old too?

Congratulations on making yourself look an idiot.
    Many top sports cars wear through tires every 30 odd miles and get a new engine every week. Doesn't mean thats what I should be doing for my car.

Similarly with sports, if your exercising to a level where you need regular massages then either you're pushing yourself harder than you should or you're at a very good amateur level and need to keep in top shape for competition. Those massages should be complimented with regular trips to the doctor/physio to make sure your body isn't suffering any long term damage from the intensive training.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X