• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plaster of Paris gets hot."

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    It is what happens when class sizes are too large. And kids will experiment.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think you'll find he looked that way before the incident, m'lud.
    Only from some angles.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    ... but not before his hair had frizzed to the extent that he looked like a burst sofa, and he also had a face like a madman's @rse....
    I think you'll find he looked that way before the incident, m'lud.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 13 October 2009, 13:35.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    What are you talking about, have you seen Robocop?
    Where are the mega-corps when you need em eh?

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I do agree with you to an extent, but this is a 16 year old kid. You are supposed to be able to give them an instruction and have them follow it.

Teachers are increasingly being forced to follow the train of thought "what is the stupidest thing these kids could do with the materials we are about to use" before letting them loose.

I do also feel sorry for the girl as it's going to be a couple of decades before they can graft a robotic hand for her. By which time, she'll probably have got used to not having one. At least they weren't doing body casts...

What are you talking about, have you seen Robocop?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Part of the teacher's role is supervision. The teacher should have been supervising her and I cannot help but think that if the teacher supervised properly, this may not have happened.
    I do agree with you to an extent, but this is a 16 year old kid. You are supposed to be able to give them an instruction and have them follow it.

Teachers are increasingly being forced to follow the train of thought "what is the stupidest thing these kids could do with the materials we are about to use" before letting them loose.

I do also feel sorry for the girl as it's going to be a couple of decades before they can graft a robotic hand for her. By which time, she'll probably have got used to not having one. At least they weren't doing body casts...

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    If neither teachers nor medics were able to get the plaster off then one must assume that smashing it off wasn't an option. I imagine it gets to a kind of hard rubbery state during setting, where it is too soft to shatter, but too hard to just pull off?
    Usually it easier to pull off when hard!!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    A mate of mine, from uni days but who went to a different uni to me, lost most of his fingers in a chemistry experiment gone wrong.

He mixed the wrong amounts of chemicals which exploded and took most of his fingers off.

He was a bit of a fkwit so, at the time, I well believed he probably wasn't paying attention when the instructions were being given by the lecturer.

The uni was taken to court by the HSE and cleared I believe but he claimed this did not affect the settlement he got via insurance from the uni.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    One question why didnt someone smash it off?
    If neither teachers nor medics were able to get the plaster off then one must assume that smashing it off wasn't an option. I imagine it gets to a kind of hard rubbery state during setting, where it is too soft to shatter, but too hard to just pull off?

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Some kids are just idiots. Unfortunately sometimes an idiot gets hurt really quite badly and the teacher gets 100% of the blame.
    Part of the teacher's role is supervision. The teacher should have been supervising her and I cannot help but think that if the teacher supervised properly, this may not have happened.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The story differed depending on the medium.

Quote from the Daily Mail

"A school was ordered to pay £19,000 today after a 16-year-old girl lost most of her fingers when she put her hands in a bucket of plaster of Paris during a school art lesson. The teenager was attempting to make a sculpture of her own hands during a lesson in January 2007 when the horrific accident happened. The plaster set around her hands and neither staff nor paramedics could get it off during the lesson at Giles School, in Boston. Within minutes the effects of the chemicals in the plaster had started to cook the girls' hands from the inside…"

that fits with the facts.
    the kids make an impression in clay, then pour the plaster in to make the sculpture. The kid shouldnt be putting her hands into the plaster, but as I say, it happened before , so it may have been a prank.

horrific

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    paddy - stop making an @rse of yourself

The story differed depending on the medium.

Quote from the Daily Mail

"A school was ordered to pay £19,000 today after a 16-year-old girl lost most of her fingers when she put her hands in a bucket of plaster of Paris during a school art lesson. The teenager was attempting to make a sculpture of her own hands during a lesson in January 2007 when the horrific accident happened. The plaster set around her hands and neither staff nor paramedics could get it off during the lesson at Giles School, in Boston. Within minutes the effects of the chemicals in the plaster had started to cook the girls' hands from the inside…"

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Teachers should be there to protect the kids, the kid wouldnt have known Plaster of Paris heats to that degree on setting. One question why didnt someone smash it off?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's fortunate the boys weren't left alone with the stuff long enough to make impressions of their own.

It's a very tragic case though and the pain must have been incredible.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    "In what has been described as a freak accident, the employee, Mr sasguru, when approached by his line manager to knead the dough for the next batch of Pizzas, inadvertently placed his head inside the oven for 25 minutes. A fellow employee helped to pull mr sasguru free from the oven, but not before his hair had frizzed to the extent that he looked like a burst sofa, and he also had a face like a madman's @rse. Senior management at Dumbino's Pizzas are investigating the incident and have promised to tighten up the regulations on Pizza prep. Fortunately Mr sasguru has bounced back from the "hair-raising" incident and only last week gained a Cycling Proficiency Badge to complement the 3 grade E GCSEs that he amassed earlier in the summer"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X