• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best Book Ever Read ?"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know any IT role you can just learn yourself into - you seem to need recent experience in all of them. Sorry, old bean. If I knew of one I'd have bought the book and no longer be on the bench!
    However you can twist the truth and learn something close to your past experience.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    Can you actually learn yourself into a data analyst role this way, just curious?
    I'm afraid I don't know any IT role you can just learn yourself into - you seem to need recent experience in all of them. Sorry, old bean. If I knew of one I'd have bought the book and no longer be on the bench!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    On another note why does most sci fi have poor writing and characterisation (e.g. Dune.) and what does that say about the people who like it?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Fiction : Dune - Frank Herbert
    Non- Fiction : Diary - Samuel Pepys.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I'd put 100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez high up the list as when I read that aged 16 it was the first book given to me as part of a school course that had been written within my lifetime (just).

I read it in both English and Spanish and loved every moment of it.

I re-read it a couple of years back and while it brought back memories, the impact of the first reading is no longer there.
    for me it was the other way around. i struggled a bit with it the first time. i didn't enjoy it. when i read it again, some ten years later - i absolutely loved it. stunning novel. i must read it again.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Non-Fiction: Data Analysis using SQL and Excel by Gordon S Linoff.
    Can you actually learn yourself into a data analyst role this way, just curious?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    i read flanagans run years ago. 1983 - the year it was published. it is about a marathon of marathons or something. i certainly enjoyed it though i can't remember much other than the cheating germans and a train that gets in the way.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    For anyone that has done any serious running, Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab is pretty good. Also Trinity by Leon Uris.
    Is that Andy's lesser known and slightly more boring brother?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Catch 22

...makes some very good points and is laugh-out-loud in parts but I'd say it's a few steps off greatness. It retells the same joke over and over again (& some may argue that's the point of it) with varying success. Somebody (a lecturer) once told me that if you remember it was originally a newspaper serial, that goes some way to explaining its deficiencies. Unfortunately...it wasn't!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    For anyone that has done any serious running, Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab is pretty good. Also Trinity by Leon Uris.
    Wot, no insults.
    You cretinous nincompoop

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Fiction: Dune by Frank Herbert (2nd choice would be Catch 22)
    Non-Fiction: Data Analysis using SQL and Excel by Gordon S Linoff.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    just to balance out a little i think catch 22 is a truly great book.

by turns hilarious and horrifying. as it develops the hilarity lessens and the horror increases. a descent into hell.

war and peace is not better nor worse - just different (though it is like catch 22 a truly great book)

there are plenty of truly great books from 1001 nights to jonathan strange and mr norrel (and beyond) but if i was to choose one....

shardik by richard adams.
    Last edited by DS23; 5 October 2009, 13:58.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Frien...4746111&sr=1-7

Cheers,

Sasguru.
    I'm supposed to be polite, so I will politely tell you to go and perform some well dodgy acts on yourself.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Frien...4746111&sr=1-7

Cheers,

Sasguru.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X