• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Book Ever Read ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    I persevered until about halfway and gave up. Couldn't engage with its sudden departures into fantasy. Liked "The General in his Labyrinth" though.

Also failed to finish "Catch 22" and "A Clockwork Orange".

"August 1914" by Solzhenitsyn is brilliant.
    "Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks is beautiful.
    "1984" by Orwell. Course book at achool and loved it ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post

Well yes. If you must read a calculus book that is the best one IMHO.
      Be warned some of the more challenging questions will do your head in - but very rewarding nonetheless.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
        How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Frien...4746111&sr=1-7

Cheers,

Sasguru.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Frien...4746111&sr=1-7

Cheers,

Sasguru.
          I'm supposed to be polite, so I will politely tell you to go and perform some well dodgy acts on yourself.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

For anyone that has done any serious running, Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab is pretty good. Also Trinity by Leon Uris.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

just to balance out a little i think catch 22 is a truly great book.

by turns hilarious and horrifying. as it develops the hilarity lessens and the horror increases. a descent into hell.

war and peace is not better nor worse - just different (though it is like catch 22 a truly great book)

there are plenty of truly great books from 1001 nights to jonathan strange and mr norrel (and beyond) but if i was to choose one....

shardik by richard adams.
              Last edited by DS23; 5 October 2009, 13:58.

Comment

Fiction: Dune by Frank Herbert (2nd choice would be Catch 22)
                Non-Fiction: Data Analysis using SQL and Excel by Gordon S Linoff.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  For anyone that has done any serious running, Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab is pretty good. Also Trinity by Leon Uris.
                  Wot, no insults.
                  You cretinous nincompoop
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Catch 22

...makes some very good points and is laugh-out-loud in parts but I'd say it's a few steps off greatness. It retells the same joke over and over again (& some may argue that's the point of it) with varying success. Somebody (a lecturer) once told me that if you remember it was originally a newspaper serial, that goes some way to explaining its deficiencies. Unfortunately...it wasn't!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Is that Andy's lesser known and slightly more boring brother?
                      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
                      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                      X