• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Insurance Payout - £1600 Curry vouchers / £1000 Cash. Which to take"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    You could knock Currys down 20% I'd have thought quite quickly on most stuff...just play the little gel haired over confident salesman a little.

That said, on principle I'd rather shop at Comet - Currys are crap, the stuff they sell is generally crap, the staff will try and get you to buy what they're getting best commission on that week, and generally lie through their teeth - no different from pimps really...

Not while they are doing 0% credit, it's against the law to discount for cash.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    You could knock Currys down 20% I'd have thought quite quickly on most stuff...just play the little gel haired over confident salesman a little.
    If you're paying in vouchers, that might be harder to achieve than if you were paying in real money.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    I'd go the vouchers. If they were for something that doesn't have a fixed price e.g. holidays or flights then it wouldn't be worth doing, but seeing as its for a large retailer who stocks a big range of shiny tangible electronic goods then i'd go for it.

As people have said, Currys may be a tad more expensive than you could buy online but nowhere remotely near 60%.

Even if its not buying stuff for yourself then that's Xmas sorted. Plenty of brownie points when the family find £350 laptops, digital photo frames, PS3 games etc in their stocking.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    £1600 on a TV isn't really in that category, but I take your point. .
    Isn't in what category?

It isn't going to halve in price in 12 months? OK perhaps not in 12, but certainly in 24.

There is no functionality that a 1600 GBP TV offers that any consumer needs, buying one is no more than willy waving.

tim

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Have to ask the question - how did you get into this situation in the first place??

If you have managed to turn 1k into 1.6k then what is stopping you continuing and turning this into a plan B business (apart from the Currys eventually going bust of course!).

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied

That said, on principle I'd rather shop at Comet - Currys are crap, the stuff they sell is generally crap, the staff will try and get you to buy what they're getting best commission on that week, and generally lie through their teeth - no different from pimps really...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    But I'm not trying to spend it for the sack of it.

I never buy top end stuff that's going to cost half as much in 2 year's time.
    £1600 on a TV isn't really in that category, but I take your point. Unless you want a new kitchen set then take the cash.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by fatsuperman View Post
    Tim,

You've probably answered your own question there. If you don't actually have anything to buy at Curry's and don't need to spend the money to replace whatever the payout is for, then take the money.

Good advice on trying to sell the vouchers, but again, if you don't want the hassle then take the cash.

For me, £1,600 of vouchers is worth a fair chunk more than £1,000 cash - there's no way Curry's are 60% more expensive than online retailers. And they sell plenty of things that are discounted, older models, which you don't pay a premium on.

But to re-iterate, if there's nothing you want from there, don't bother!

WHS - if you are actually replacing something, then price it up first and see how much you would have to spend in cash and then the same at Curry's.

As someone else said, check what denominations and expiration there is on the vouchers.

I'd probably take the vouchers. I personally hate all stores in the Dixons group with a passion because they are so piss poor - the chance that this might cost them money would be too good to miss.

Leave a comment:

• fatsuperman
    replied
    Tim,

You've probably answered your own question there. If you don't actually have anything to buy at Curry's and don't need to spend the money to replace whatever the payout is for, then take the money.

Good advice on trying to sell the vouchers, but again, if you don't want the hassle then take the cash.

For me, £1,600 of vouchers is worth a fair chunk more than £1,000 cash - there's no way Curry's are 60% more expensive than online retailers. And they sell plenty of things that are discounted, older models, which you don't pay a premium on.

But to re-iterate, if there's nothing you want from there, don't bother!

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    You're not trying hard enough. A half-decent TV+blu-ray+speakers would use that all up in one go. So would a top-end laptop with a few bits and bobs. Or combination of new dishwasher, fridge-freezer, oven & washing machine.
    But I'm not trying to spend it for the sack of it.

I never buy top end stuff that's going to cost half as much in 2 year's time.

And I have absolutely no need whatsoever for a blu-ray thing-a-me-bob. I have never in my life bought recorded video media and I do all my recording onto a hard disk

tim

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Quite often currys don't sell the kit reviewed by the audio visual magazines, they sell cheaper models especially made for their like (comet et al) with a lower spec. So like for like I'd rather have the cash.
    Not according to my research, I found the exact same models of most TVs I looked at. You might risk buying last year's range but generally they had the same models. I'm sure what you say happens in some cases, but it's not a generalisation and if you can find Currys stocking the model you want, £1600 looks the better bet.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    This means something you buy in Curries for £1600 could be bought elsewhere for £1000. Whether you could buy it for £1000 is an interesting thought.
    Hmm yes, what the insurance company could buy for £1000 might be a tad different from what you can buy it for.
    1. Is the insurance company part of the same group as Currys? The vouchers coud be subsidised by marketing funds. What price does the insurance company really pay for £1600 of vouchers?
    2. A claimant might be inclined to refuse the £1000 offer as being too low, but be happy with £1600.
    3. VAT advantages of one over the other? I Haven't a clue, but something else to consider.

Whatever, the vouchers deal is to enable Currys to grab a new customer who will hopefully spend more and maybe need credit to do that.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    As above??

Quite lost at the mo.

They have offered 1600 pounds in currys vouchers or 1k in cash

What would you take?

Do currys sell anything useful at a reasonable price
    This means something you buy in Curries for £1600 could be bought elsewhere for £1000. Whether you could buy it for £1000 is an interesting thought.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Why are they better? Currys sell own-brand cheap stuff too but they also sell exactly what you buy online... Panasonic bring out a new range of TVs and you can go view it in a shop and then find the cheapest price online. I don't think 60% increase is anywhere near realistic, when we looked at TVs arounf the £1k mark it was more like a 20% saving online.
    Quite often currys don't sell the kit reviewed by the audio visual magazines, they sell cheaper models especially made for their like (comet et al) with a lower spec. So like for like I'd rather have the cash.

Leave a comment:

• fatsuperman
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I first read the subject I thought - that's a lot of Jalfrezi!

Honestly, it didn't occur to me it was vouchers for the shop.
    You sir, are a scholar. You also owe me a new keyboard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X