• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance Payout - £1600 Curry vouchers / £1000 Cash. Which to take

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatsuperman View Post
    Tim,

You've probably answered your own question there. If you don't actually have anything to buy at Curry's and don't need to spend the money to replace whatever the payout is for, then take the money.

Good advice on trying to sell the vouchers, but again, if you don't want the hassle then take the cash.

For me, £1,600 of vouchers is worth a fair chunk more than £1,000 cash - there's no way Curry's are 60% more expensive than online retailers. And they sell plenty of things that are discounted, older models, which you don't pay a premium on.

But to re-iterate, if there's nothing you want from there, don't bother!

WHS - if you are actually replacing something, then price it up first and see how much you would have to spend in cash and then the same at Curry's.

As someone else said, check what denominations and expiration there is on the vouchers.

I'd probably take the vouchers. I personally hate all stores in the Dixons group with a passion because they are so piss poor - the chance that this might cost them money would be too good to miss.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      But I'm not trying to spend it for the sack of it.

I never buy top end stuff that's going to cost half as much in 2 year's time.
      £1600 on a TV isn't really in that category, but I take your point. Unless you want a new kitchen set then take the cash.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You could knock Currys down 20% I'd have thought quite quickly on most stuff...just play the little gel haired over confident salesman a little.

That said, on principle I'd rather shop at Comet - Currys are crap, the stuff they sell is generally crap, the staff will try and get you to buy what they're getting best commission on that week, and generally lie through their teeth - no different from pimps really...

Comment

Have to ask the question - how did you get into this situation in the first place??

If you have managed to turn 1k into 1.6k then what is stopping you continuing and turning this into a plan B business (apart from the Currys eventually going bust of course!).

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            £1600 on a TV isn't really in that category, but I take your point. .
            Isn't in what category?

It isn't going to halve in price in 12 months? OK perhaps not in 12, but certainly in 24.

There is no functionality that a 1600 GBP TV offers that any consumer needs, buying one is no more than willy waving.

tim

Comment

I'd go the vouchers. If they were for something that doesn't have a fixed price e.g. holidays or flights then it wouldn't be worth doing, but seeing as its for a large retailer who stocks a big range of shiny tangible electronic goods then i'd go for it.

As people have said, Currys may be a tad more expensive than you could buy online but nowhere remotely near 60%.

Even if its not buying stuff for yourself then that's Xmas sorted. Plenty of brownie points when the family find £350 laptops, digital photo frames, PS3 games etc in their stocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
                You could knock Currys down 20% I'd have thought quite quickly on most stuff...just play the little gel haired over confident salesman a little.
                If you're paying in vouchers, that might be harder to achieve than if you were paying in real money.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post

That said, on principle I'd rather shop at Comet - Currys are crap, the stuff they sell is generally crap, the staff will try and get you to buy what they're getting best commission on that week, and generally lie through their teeth - no different from pimps really...

Not while they are doing 0% credit, it's against the law to discount for cash.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                  X