• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Motorways

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Motorways"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    This outer lane hogging tends to be by idiots who think it's the 'fast lane' rather than the overtaking only lane. At congested times it's usually the slowest lane, due to said idiots creating shockwave jams. The highway code discourages undertaking but also encourages you to move over to the left most lane as soon as possible, which conflicts with the moronic behaviour.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 2 October 2009, 18:31.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Yep I knew some tool would drag this up.

It is not against the law. The HC is only an advisory document.

The police have tried to bring several prosecutions for 'undertaking' on motorways and lost them all to my knowledge.

Correct. The Highway Code is NOT law, but contains many points which ARE law:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A685235

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Yep I knew some tool would drag this up.

It is not against the law. The HC is only an advisory document.

The police have tried to bring several prosecutions for 'undertaking' on motorways and lost them all to my knowledge.
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 2 October 2009, 16:58.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Most motorways here are two lanes. But there are instances of three and more lanes. Confuses the fsck out of them. Nearly as funny as watching them negotiating roundabouts, of which there aren't that many either.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/middle_lane.htm For the middle lane fraternity otherwise known as the Middle Lane Owners Club (or total t0ssers if you prefer).

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/fast_lane.htm For the outside lane obsessed (also total t0ssers).

I'm pretty fed up with driving on 3-5 lane roads that have been converted to 1-2 lanes by inconsiderate morons who refuse to drive on the left as we're all required to by law.

I'm about to set off for my 280 mile trip North where I will encounter hundreds if not thousands of Middle and Outside Lane Owners Club members selfishly hogging lanes and ignoring empty lanes to their left.

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    So you are going faster than 70 mph or not when you overtake on the inside?

If so, I thought you said the speed limit was the same, or does that just apply to everyone else?
    no, I usually end up undertaking <70

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Exactly. As a BMW driver I only ever use the other lanes to join and leave the motorway.
    Are you one of the very small number who has paid extra for a switch to turn the foglights off?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I thought that was Audi drivers these days?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    One that really annoys me is when I'm in the outside lane overtaking slower-moving traffic and some twonk (almost always in a BMW or an Audi) sits right on my tail... and then, when we reach a point where I can pull in to let them pass, they instead shoot into the inwards lane one inch in front of the lead vehicle there and undertake me just as I start to pull over

I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly sideswiped one of these imbeciles. Of course, if they weren't sat right on my tail, they would have been able to see the indicator and would have known that I was pulling over to let them through. Morons

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Exactly. As a BMW driver I only ever cut people up and fail to indicate.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Only those who have failed in life use the left or middle lane.
    Exactly. As a BMW driver I only ever use the other lanes to join and leave the motorway.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Only those who have failed in life use the left or middle lane.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Too many slow lorries on the inside lane, that's the problem, and we are all too lazy to move back so we just stay in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    That actually worked on the Paris Périphérique.
    That works very well on M4 London bound, I've managed to overtake a Ferrari once ..

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    .. or you can always move to the inside lane and say you were preparing to take an exit ...
    That actually worked on the Paris Périphérique. It could be faster to take an exit and immediately join again when it was really snarled (most days). I picked that tip up by observing what the airport bus did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X