• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My Attention seeking dilema post"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Yep. Then I get paid so don't give a toss after that.
    whs

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Not there until 11 every night but I've done a few in order to meet deadlines and I'm talking 50 billable hours a week on average minus breaks.

But now the lack of effort/sloppy work by other departments means I could work 24/7 and still not meet the coming deadlines. For the first time in almost a decade contracting I'm actually dreaming about work.

You probably know all this, I would suggest you document as much as you can, make sure your RAIDS are up to date and hold regular update meetings, circulate reports and minutes, ensuring all deliverables are obvious. On a personal level eat really well and exercise. Sorry if this is stuff you already know, I've had some contracts that sound like this and it sounds like they will blame you if it goes wrong, so all I can say is take care of yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Isn't it terrible when people think you're easy to exploit and try to take advantage of you? Next thing you know, they'll be slagging you off in an online forum.
    I have no idea what you are talking about, care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Ever done a contract where you work your balls off and take up the slack for other departments, who go on holiday at key times, never work late, do sloppy work that affects you, but then manage to take credit for your work?
    Isn't it terrible when people think you're easy to exploit and try to take advantage of you? Next thing you know, they'll be slagging you off in an online forum.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Long hours yes, but not all for the one client
    Or are you a disguised employee?
    No, I'm the director of a company, not a contractor pretending to be a business because the nasty agents won't let me be self-employed

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    No we just employ pilots who can program
    It's better than the other way round isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    No we just employ pilots who can program

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Baggie posted: SAS programmers
    Let me guess, they slip in, make lots of noise and blow everything up, then slip out whilst the dust is still settling ?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You still doing sas at pharma? Highly unusual situation if so.
    Sort of they gave me the title consultant senior manager here though and I'm managing a team of SAS programmers, all good guys, but other departments are Terry Fwits including the so called study managers.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    actually most of my contracts have resulted in me surfing the net, doing very little for several months.

Now I've got work to do, what kind of contract is that?
    WSS, I was so busy yesterday it was a surprise when lunchtime and 5:30pm arrived, atleast the day went by a lot quicker. It makes a huge change from surfing the net, CUK, planning holidays etc.

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Pah, in my day I was billing for 86 hours a week for at least 3 months!

You don't know you're born....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    In the beginning there was the project.
    The client gave the project unto its employees.
    The project brought upon the business a plague of sick days and woe for the IT staff.
    Their paper certificates did not bring knowledge and skill to the company.
    It came to pass that management said unto HR
    “We can not cope with the mighty project task for there is great plague of sickness that has fallen upon the IT.”
    HR looked kindly upon them and sent a contractor from Heaven (or Sunbury).
    The contractor toiled day and night and the permies watched him and spent their time surfing upon the interweb.
    The project came to completion and the contactor handed the project to the permie who had recovered from the plague … and four weeks holiday … and a six week project course, team building exercise in Cumbria … and endless meetings.

And the permie went unto management a spoke. “I have with great fortitude toiled and completed this vast project., by the way shall we get ride of that lazy overpaid contractor.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    I have been known to put that kind of effort in but only leading up to a renewal I wanted.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Not at all tis true unfortunately, still I'm working. Never been stressed as a contractor before, high level management wanted to throw resource at it, but my line management blocked it. With extra resouce it would be a lot easier but I'm doing the job of 3 people and as project manager taking all the flack.
    You still doing sas at pharma? Highly unusual situation if so.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Long hours yes, but not all for the one client
    Or are you a disguised employee?
    He's got a false beard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X