• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cheese safety

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheese safety"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    I'm pretty adventurous with food - raw steak, witchety grubs but yes, holding my hand above a sandwich to stop larvae jumping into my eyes...!

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

there is some risk of intestinal larval infection
    Thats kinda where i draw the line, right there. Furry cheese, yum, intestinal larvae, nope.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    WTF?

It's a MAN's cheese

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Toolpusher - I don't know about that valencay cheese, but it looks very similar to a goat's cheese called cerney which is super-tasty. The dark stuff on the outside is probably charcoal; but the white wispy stuff is still mould!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    There's a very special cheese which is deemed ripe only when teeming with maggot.
    WTF?

Several food safety issues have been raised in relation to Casu marzu, including anecdotal reports of allergic reactions and the danger of consuming cheese that has advanced to a toxic state. In addition, there is some risk of enteric myaisis, or intestinal larval infection. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and bloody diarrhea. Piophila casei larvae are very resistant to human stomach acid and can pass through the stomach alive, taking up residency for some period of time in the intestines and causing stomach lesions and other gastrointestinal problems. The larvae have powerful mouthhooks which can lacerate stomach linings or intestinal walls as the maggots attempt to bore through internal organs.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    There's a very special cheese which is deemed ripe only when teeming with maggot.
    "Believed to be an aphrodisiac ..."

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed,[1][8] diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping into their eyes

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Most cheese is mould - it's fine. Cut it off if you are a girl.

If it makes your tongue swell then drink more wine.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Wash it all down with bacteria excreta (wine/beer).
    Erm...it's yeast actually

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Wash it all down with bacteria excreta (wine/beer).

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    When blue-green bits grow on the outside of normal cheese, obviously that's bad.
    Trim them off and get it eaten.

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    But when blue-green bits grow on the outside of blue cheese (i.e. the same colour as the green-blue bits that are supposed to be there, but there's more of it round the edges), that's OK isn't it?
    Of course. Get it eaten.

Cheese is only rotten, coagulated bacteria bodies that dined and died on milk. A bit of mould won't make much difference. Except to add body.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I'm not afraid of cheese, so would have eaten it.
    Wash your innuendous mouths out now

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I'm not afraid of cheese, so would have eaten it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Go for it.

I had some iffy meat the other week. It was frozen but had been defrosted and refrozen at least once and stunk a bit when finally defrosted. Anyway I thought cooking would sort it out, especially if the outside surfaces were excised. Nope, still tasted pretty nasty throughout after cooking. It even still smelled, which if anything was worse than before it was cooked.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Do the research and you will find that it is the perfect combination.
    what snot goblin as well? I don't think so

Leave a comment:

Working...
X