• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Programming Pairs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Programming Pairs"

Collapse

• weemster
    replied
    This has been going for king years.....under one guise or another (XP was my first experience of it). Good thing in moderation imo.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I've heard my marriage described in a similar way
    fixed that for you

Leave a comment:

• slickcontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Did you get to hold the gun when it was his turn to code?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    There must be a very small subset of developers that could ever be effective working in pairs. I know I never could.

I imagine in 90% of cases, one does all the work, and the other sits there bored out of their mind.
    I've heard marriage described in a similar way

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    I guess it would work if the two individuals were really compatible, maybe.
    There must be a very small subset of developers that could ever be effective working in pairs. I know I never could.

I imagine in 90% of cases, one does all the work, and the other sits there bored out of their mind.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    It's one of those things that sounds good in theory, but rubbish for most of the time in practice.

I guess it would work if the two individuals were really compatible, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    replied
    Very Xtreme Programming,

The BBC are big on this.

Have done it on part, but not full...Usually just to go through design or code reviews and it turns into pair programming.

Can be good... but also, can just turn into the guru coding lots, and the more juniors head spinning.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's called Pair Programming and is fairly well known, if not widely used. Never done it myself and not sure I would want to.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Why don't they save a seat and hire a schizophrenic?*

*Or whatever the term is for people with multiple personalities

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I don't mind the punters watching me code, so long as they keep quiet. I've done pair programming and it is very effective, but only if the "other half" is about as competent as you are. I find source code peer review less intrusive and about as effective though - and for that you don't need to pair people of similar ability.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Done this loads. Biggest benefit is spreading knowledge of the system around the team and avoiding area experts. Most suitable for proper TDD, especially with ping-pong coding (write failing test, swap, fix test and write new failing test, repeat).

Unfortunately most situations aren't like this. In reality it's work, slack off, work, slack off...

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    I had my CEO sit behind me watching intently once, not to check my code but because he was bored out of his mind and wanted to see someone actually doing real coding.

He sat behind me, looking over my shoulder and I got a bit of coders block. I hate someone sitting behind me watching what I do and wanting a running commentary as I type. I'm fast, and jump up and down the code all the time, having to slow myself down to punter speeds and explain everything at the same time threw me off, so I eventually told him to bugger off and let me get on with this important, time sensitive fix.

I couldn't handle a programming pair, it would be just like playing windows solitaire, you know, with the smart arse pointing out cards just before you are going to go for them. 5 of diamonds, 5 of diamonds.. over there... Argh fsck off!!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post

I can only assume that this hasn't really taken off yet as we'd be reading about violent incidents among IT staff.
    I had to impose this on my team. They really didn't like it and bitched constantly at each other, so we wasted lots of time resolving arguments. It was quietly dropped

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Load of crap.
    Agreed... Costly, pointless and I wouldn't agree to it...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Load of crap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X