• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Kitchen experience"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Forgot to mention, you may notice some of their kitchens are uncanilly similar to those found in a large chain of stores, only lots cheaper

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Don't know if someone has mentioned this yet as I've not read the whole post.

Try Howdens

They only sell to trade, but if you have your own limtied company you should be able to get an account. They sell to places like Wicks and Magnet.

I managed to get 75% discount in the end I think. Whole kitchen inc:
    Dishwasher, sink, waste disposal, extractor...etc for £1700, then got it fitted for about £700.

Not massive kitchen but massive savings!!!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    when you estimate the time for the project use this rule.

Their number of units x 3 then change unit to next up.

Ie 6 weeks become 12 months.

Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Sounds tempting but "high-end" pricing worries me!! I'm looking at £15k max, as offerred to us by www.kitchenitalia.com. This includes one of their solid wood kitchens of 17 units to cover 2 walls (5m x 5m), an island (2.4m x 1m) and integrated applicances: hob, extractor, oven, microwave, dishwasher, beer dispenser (yes that's for me). But to be honest I'm not 100% happy with their cabinet colour choices.

I would pay up to £20k if it got me a much better kitchen. Do you have a website for your mate's place?
    http://www.studio3kitchens.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    and integrated applicances: beer dispenser
    OMG I did know know these existed - now I know how to keep a man in the kitchen

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You are obviously not married. Homebase would have done me but the wife managed to spend over £25k of our money, stone tiles, solid oak doors, granite worktops, all new matching hidden appliances etc.
    Do matching hidden appliances look better than non-matching hidden appliances?

Or is hte wife applying the same logic to kitchens as she does to her her bra and knickers?

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    and what a crock of tulip they are. We have about 5k wotrh of granite in ours but it chips, you can't put really hot stuff on it (or it might crack - good job it's not in anywhere near a flipin cooker then!!) and you only need somebody to brush past it and it needs polishing. I wish I'd took the cheaper option of solid wood.
    that is more than likely due to it being cheap tulipe Chinese Imported Granite.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    wickes not very good quality, I was pretty shocked when I went in for a good look.
    It depends which range you pick - the cheaper ones definitely were not good quality

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Where abouts are you? I've got a friend who's a designer at a fairly high end kitchen place in Herts if that's any use?
    Sounds tempting but "high-end" pricing worries me!! I'm looking at £15k max, as offerred to us by www.kitchenitalia.com. This includes one of their solid wood kitchens of 17 units to cover 2 walls (5m x 5m), an island (2.4m x 1m) and integrated applicances: hob, extractor, oven, microwave, dishwasher, beer dispenser (yes that's for me). But to be honest I'm not 100% happy with their cabinet colour choices.

I would pay up to £20k if it got me a much better kitchen. Do you have a website for your mate's place?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Right - serious question here.

Looking to have a new kitchen built in a reasonably sized space - approx. 5m x 5m. Have been to Magnet and also had one of those "designers" i.e. salesman come round from Kitchen Italia (.com). Estimates range around the £15k mark all in, for a modern kitchen with central island and appliances.

Having never done a project like this before, I'm not sure what to expect. The price seems reasonable but what concerns me most are the horror stories I read on websites where customers have any number of problems with kitchens or the fitters.

Has anyone here had a good experience WRT buying a new kitchen and would you recommend any particular vendor/fitter or large chain?
    Where abouts are you? I've got a friend who's a designer at a fairly high end kitchen place in Herts if that's any use?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
    Else get yourself to Wicks or another wholeseller, pick the design and measure it up yourself and fit it yourself or get a builder to do it. You would probably save a few k.
    wickes not very good quality, I was pretty shocked when I went in for a good look.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    With magnet you can negotiate them down on price. £15k all in sounds a lot for that space.

My kitchen is roughly the same size and i got them down to £8k, in the end I didn't bother as it looked like we might move at the time and I didn't want to put in a new kitchen for the benefit of tenants.

I would check out the lewis and cook range at b&q, it's very good quality which was suprising.

Leave a comment:

• grey_lady
    replied
    Ikea do pretty nice kitchens from about 5k plus - (anyone else thinking that the Ikea mafia at Fenchurch street last week morning and night was a bit much? )

Else get yourself to Wicks or another wholeseller, pick the design and measure it up yourself and fit it yourself or get a builder to do it. You would probably save a few k.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You are obviously not married. Homebase would have done me but the wife managed to spend over £25k of our money, stone tiles, solid oak doors, granite worktops, all new matching hidden appliances etc.

How to save money on house maintenance. Get a divorce before getting any quotes.
    and what a crock of sh1t they are. We have about 5k wotrh of granite in ours but it chips, you can't put really hot stuff on it (or it might crack - good job it's not in anywhere near a feckin cooker then!!) and you only need somebody to brush past it and it needs polishing. I wish I'd took the cheaper option of solid wood.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    If you want one fitted to your own spec why not use a trading standards approved kitchen fitter

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/...s=25&PostCode=

Leave a comment:

Working...
X