• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The biggest cheque I ever wrote..."

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    ...just cleared from my business account. Corporation tax bill for my first full year of contracting/freelancing/running my business.

Feel a bit sick now
    I once paid £130k by cheque. But it was towards paying off mortgage so I didn't mind.

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    this years corporation tax

this years corporation tax

Nil

Company loss (2,500)

therefore

already money off next year

before you start personal tax also nil

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    You should write a book like Felix Dennis did. And coat the front and back covers with photos of all the cheques he wrote to the Inland Revenue. One million Five Hundred and twenty six thousand and blah blah
    Eight million six hundred thousand....
    the book was called "how to get rich"
    The best therapy...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Don't know about writing the biggest cheque, but I've just received the biggest cheque of my life after selling my old flat.

And it's tax free!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I think for me the defining moment was when I realised that I got to choose my own hotels, transport and office kit.
    Oh yeah, baby. That is one orgasmic moment.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you're paying more in tax than you used to bring home, you need a tax accountant... The defining moment is when you're avoiding more tax than you used to bring home.
    Not really true when you started work in the inflationary 70s.

I think for me the defining moment was when I realised that I got to choose my own hotels, transport and office kit. If I chose cheap, it left me with more profit, but if necessary I could choose expensive to get the job done properly.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    You could always earn less money! The bigger the cheque, the more you made, enjoy ...

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    ...just cleared from my business account. Corporation tax bill for my first full year of contracting/freelancing/running my business.

Feel a bit sick now
    Know what you mean, had to the same thing last month... It does hurt

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you're paying more in tax than you used to bring home, you need a tax accountant... The defining moment is when you're avoiding more tax than you used to bring home.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What's a "cheque"? Is that a special type of internet banking?
    Allows you to send someone a single payment > £10000 for free ...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    how big though? eh? hmm? eh?
    A gentleman doesn't mention numbers. Fairly close to what I used to earn 5 years ago... I am just about at what I'm told is a defining moment, when you first pay more in tax than you used to bring home.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    how big though? eh? hmm? eh?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied

Feel a bit sick now
    I had the same reaction when I did my first one over twenty years ago.

Now I don't have to worry about such things.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's what my accountant recommended. Given that they work exclusively over the internet with me, I don't think they are stuck in the past.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    I think it is a primitive form of payment mechanism used during the last century.

I have a vague recollection of taking ten cheques for £1.40 into the cashiers' office of my local council to pay all ten instalments of my (reduced) Community Charge bill sometime in 1992 or 1993.

For some reason the cashier was not very amused.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X