• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Computer People

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Computer People"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There you have it. Worst ever and best thing since sliced bread. Several yonks ago, they used to do stuff like holiday and sick pay deals and therefore had high margins. Do they still do that?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Every major player in Edinburgh dropped their rates at the start of the year and that was a coordinated decision by the clients (I have had that confirmed) and nothing to do with Computer People.

I got told my extension would mean a rate cut and I walked, I'm just about to go back for the original rate.

You cannot blame an agency for wanting to keep being the preferred supplier for a major financial more than wanting to keep individual contractors happy.
    That took real guts to decline the rate cut and walk - well done .

Looking at todays press I see that our Captains of Industry have had no qualms awarindg themselves a hefty 10 per cent pay increase - crises what crises ?

Nearly a quarter of FTSE chief executives received total 2008 pay packages worth more than £5m, and 22 directors now have basic salaries of more than £1m.

The highest paid boss last year was Bart Becht, chief executive of Reckitt Benckiser, who received £36.8m in pay, bonuses, perks and share incentive schemes.

Brendan Barber, general secretary of the TUC, said: "The recession has done nothing to stop the gap between top directors and the rest of their staff getting wider every year.

"It is even more offensive when the Institute of Directors has called for spending cuts that would hit pensioners, the poor and low-paid public sector staff.

"We've already had the 1980s-style recession, it looks depressingly like we are going back to 1980s greed-is-good politics too."

The executive pay survey was released three days after a separate report which said the pensions of top company directors have increased by more than 23 per cent since last year to almost £250,000 a year.

Analysis of pension arrangements for 373 directors from 103 companies by the TUC found that leading executives have amassed pension pots worth an average of £3.4 million, providing an annual pension of £247,785 a year each.

The highest paid directors in each company had pensions worth £333,664 a year, while a small number of bosses would receive more than £1 million a year, said the union organisation
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 14 September 2009, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Every major player in Edinburgh dropped their rates at the start of the year and that was a coordinated decision by the clients (I have had that confirmed) and nothing to do with Computer People.

I got told my extension would mean a rate cut and I walked, I'm just about to go back for the original rate.

You cannot blame an agency for wanting to keep being the preferred supplier for a major financial more than wanting to keep individual contractors happy.

Leave a comment:

• CoolerKing
    replied
    Shocking Agency to work with.
    Avoid them at all costs.

In the last 12 months they have:
    Screwed up an extension offer:
    Contributed to the rate reductions within Edinburgh.
    (apparantly requisitioned by an Edinburgh Major player to some analysis on contractor market, and recomended rate reductions).
    Screwed up timesheets/invoices for payment on 3 occasions.
    And have a cutomer service dept in Keele who are totally inadequte.

They have preferred supplier relationships with major players in Edinburgh under several disguises hence theere is no relationship with Contractors.
    Their interests are to maintain relationship with Clients.

They keep sending me feedback forms, which I have no intending filling in till im with somebody else.

Company Sucks, go direct or ask HR if you can go through another agency.

Leave a comment:

• SlimRick
    replied
    Had a gig through them in 2006 - good agency, very professional. I suppose it varies from pimp to pimp but I had a good experience with them.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I was with them for a gig from 2005 - 2007. They kept out of my way, processed extensions promptly, and always paid on time. OTOH, I was working through a brolly, so I don't know what they're like on IR35 stuff.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Great, if you want a contract that stiches you up like a permie.
    They would'nt budge an inch when I used them.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    What are they like to deal with?
    As a rule avoid any agency with "Computer" in their name. Their reputation was absolutely terrible a few years back.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Had a chat with them once. Told them that any contract would be with the limited company I work for and not with me personally. They didn't really grok that idea.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I have to say I find them one of the best agents to deal with. Done about 4 gigs with them and they always phone me pretty soon after a role comes up in my area. Every gig I have went forward for with them I have got so I know when they call it's a genuine gig and they don't piss me about. Invoicing is fairly OK and never had any major problems.

If I was looking for work I would contact them first off. I like them which I know is not the norm round here.

However they did pester me for 2 references during my last gig which I know the client was not interested in and they still were at it even when the client had offered me 2 extensions.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Did a gig for them back in 08. Invoicing was a doddle as you filled in their online timesheeting system (Right rewards), and they send you the invoice you would have generated, and a remittance advice.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Hangover
    replied
    Got a gig through them once. The agent came across like Del Boy on acid. Pain in the arse with invocing too, since their systems were apalling

This was a while back, but if you can avoid them, I would.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    They do not have a good reputation.
    This is all rumour and hearsay as I have never wored with them myself.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    tulipe

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    started a topic Computer People

Computer People

What are they like to deal with?

Working...
X