• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How good are your first aid skills?"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    In theroy yes you can be sued, St Johns (who do the training) offer all 1st aiders insurance agaist such an event
    Consent aside, surely there would only ever be grounds if the aid-giver's actions left the injured person in a worse state than if they had done nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    In theroy yes you can be sued, St Johns (who do the training) offer all 1st aiders insurance agaist such an event

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Can you be sued for providing bad first aid?
    Depends how bad it was...

But, no, I don't think you can

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Tourniquet's are frowned on now too - pressure is recommended instead.

There's a concept of "good samaritan" used in the US and most other western countries that states you cannot be sued if you apply first aid, if you have consent (or implied consent) and as long as you are qualified to provide it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Tourniquet's are frowned on now too - pressure is recommended instead.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    You're not supposed to do the Heimlich manoeuvre anymore - the risk of getting it wrong and doing more damage is too high.

I've given first aid to a motor cyclist who come off outside a pub I was drinking in. Didn't actually have to do much other than keep him still as he wasn't bleeding and wasn't in too much pain.

Need to re-do my course as I think it's lapsed now.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I discovered an old lady flat on her back outside her flat in our block of flats. She was conscious but couldn't get up. She insisted on help standing up, which I provided but this in hindsight was probably a wrong move, though luckily nothing was busted. She was bleeding from the head though, which I did insist needed looking at, though she was adamant that is was okay. Turned out she was on blood thinners and it might never have stopped bleeding.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I have 6 siblings which gave me a good gounding & I am now a fully qualified 1st aider,

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Only had to use first aid once at an RTA. At first I drove past when I saw a crowd around a motorcyclist lying in the road. After I drove past I changed my mind and drove back. Nobody was doing anything other than watching her. She had difficulty breathing. I went and got a Stanley knife from the car and cut off her rucksack and shoes and tested that she could feel her feet. I then cut off her helmet off. Fortunately the ambulance arrived and I was happy to hear from them that I had done the right thing. There is a lot of rubbish said about not moving someone. Common sense should prevail.

In the car I have a DIN standard first aid kit (£5 from Lidel) . Fire extinguisher (used them three times on other people cars) Two reflective vests. These items are compulsory in many European Countries. In France it is the law that you must give aid after a road accident.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought you had to blow down their throats,
    I saw that film..;-))

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Andyw does first aid on my behalf.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I thought you had to blow down their throats, is that before or after?
    That's after. You don't blow down their throats until you've stuck your fingers up their noses.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yep, plus you have to stick your fingers down their throats.
    I thought you had to blow down their throats, is that before or after?

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    My first aid skills are pretty damn good.

I have had to adminster first-aid six times now and there has not been a single complaint.

All the casualties died, but not one of them complained.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    If someone's injured you have to roll them over right? Or hit them as hard as you can in the chest until they get better?
    Yep, plus you have to stick your fingers down their throats.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X