• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When do you know you're in a mid-life crisis?"

Collapse

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Bugger 'orf with your wise words - this is a blokes only thread!
    Beats the **** outta reading about your blinking kites!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Hi Taz,

Have you talked to your wife about any of this?

Do yous still have the kind of relationship where you talk and she listens?

If you do, then talk to her. Not over breakfast or anything - make serious time to really mull it over with her - she needs to know what you're going through. She will have noticed, and she probably thinks you've just gone off her and are abotu to leave her or something. Mayeb you could both head off travelling for a while or something?

If you can't talk to her about it, then ask yourself what you're hanging around for? Kids? Could you live without them?

I've known a lot of break ups over the last few years - couples who've been together about 10 years. It's always the bloke who wants to leave.

Most of the blokes left for other women.
    One bloke left for real unhappiness reasons.

The latter was the only one to go back, as he missed his daughter too much.
    All of the formers are SOOOOOO happy now - having gone through the tulip and came out the other end. The latter...well he's still unhappy as far as I can tell.

In summary....I dont believe in this "mid life crisis" nonsense. I believe it's more to do with waking up one day and realising you hate your life.
    This wont go away until you fix whatever is broken - which may well be you!
    Bugger 'orf with your wise words - this is a blokes only thread!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Seriously, how?
    When you start shagging 21 year olds

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Blowing your savings on a TVR and leaving your wife for a 17 year old then yes that is a proper crisis.
    Unless your wife is also a 17 year old...

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Blimey! Wasn't mine sensible advice?

Leave a comment:

• weemster
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Hi Taz,

If you do, then talk to her. Not over breakfast or anything - make serious time to really mull it over with her - she needs to know what you're going through. She will have noticed, and she probably thinks you've just gone off her and are abotu to leave her or something. Mayeb you could both head off travelling for a while or something?

If you can't talk to her about it, then ask yourself what you're hanging around for? Kids? Could you live without them?

I've known a lot of break ups over the last few years - couples who've been together about 10 years. It's always the bloke who wants to leave.

All of the formers are SOOOOOO happy now - having gone through the tulip and came out the other end. The latter...well he's still unhappy as far as I can tell.

In summary....I dont believe in this "mid life crisis" nonsense. I believe it's more to do with waking up one day and realising you hate your life.
    Sensible advice on this site, What madness !

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Hi Taz,

All of the formers are SOOOOOO happy now - having gone through the sh1t and came out the other end. The latter...well he's still unhappy as far as I can tell.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the depower kites once I've got more experience under my belt. There’s quite a lot of cheap 2nd hand kit about on the forums.

I'll be flying static/superman for a while to learn the ropes so I think a 3.5m will be more than enough to drag my arse all over the beach for now.
    Depends what you weigh. It would need a fair wind for a 3.5 to shift me. My 5.5 bullet doesnt need much encouragement though.

Bars help avoid a lot of tangles too. If you twist the lines you can spin the bar to get them out instead of looping the kite back. You do need a harness.

I would recomend the forums on racekites as a source of info too. Some good guys on there and if you can afford a custom buggy then you might be able to persuade popeyethewelder to knock you one up. He is a nice bloke too and he has some interesting stuff on his web site.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I have a 3.5 rage. They fly nice.
    You are better off learning overpowered. Under power gets frustrating when you are going nowhere.
    It is probably too late, but I would suggest a bigger depower. I have a 10 metre Ozone Access 2 which flies with less power than the rage when depowered.
    I am quite a noob at this. Mostly because I never get practice time.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the depower kites once I've got more experience under my belt. There’s quite a lot of cheap 2nd hand kit about on the forums.

I'll be flying static/superman for a while to learn the ropes so I think a 3.5m will be more than enough to drag my arse all over the beach for now.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Yay a fellow kiter.

I decided on the 3.5 Flexifoil Rage so I can ride 'underpowered' as I'm a complete noob and I don't want to have too many OBE's early on. I can always get a 5m or big ILE to add to my quiver at a later date and keep the 3.5 for windy days.

I never imagined there would be so much to it.
    I have a 3.5 rage. They fly nice.
    You are better off learning overpowered. Under power gets frustrating when you are going nowhere.
    It is probably too late, but I would suggest a bigger depower. I have a 10 metre Ozone Access 2 which flies with less power than the rage when depowered.
    I am quite a noob at this. Mostly because I never get practice time.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Good man. See you on the beach if I ever get home again.
    Try the forums on racekites for meetings etc. Lots of friendly help and advice if you turn up to a meet.
    3.5 is a bit small for a bug except in really high winds.
    Yay a fellow kiter.

I decided on the 3.5 Flexifoil Rage so I can ride 'underpowered' as I'm a complete noob and I don't want to have too many OBE's early on. I can always get a 5m or big ILE to add to my quiver at a later date and keep the 3.5 for windy days.

I never imagined there would be so much to it.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I've just bought a 3.5m power kite, looking to get a buggy for the beach too.

I don't see much of this as a crisis more of a realisation, I mean what’s wrong with wanting to get fit and pay off your debts and lead a simpler life? Makes bloody good sense if you ask me.

Blowing your savings on a TVR and leaving your wife for a 17 year old then yes that is a proper crisis.
    Good man. See you on the beach if I ever get home again.
    Try the forums on racekites for meetings etc. Lots of friendly help and advice if you turn up to a meet.
    3.5 is a bit small for a bug except in really high winds.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I've just bought a 3.5m power kite, looking to get a buggy for the beach too.

I don't see much of this as a crisis more of a realisation, I mean what’s wrong with wanting to get fit and pay off your debts and lead a simpler life? Makes bloody good sense if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I'm 47 years old. I've been going through a mid-life crisis for the past 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Very serious answer.

Of course you do recognise that this is the first in a line of chemical changes that the body undergoes, leading ultimately to the lose of certain body parts that are no long required.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X