• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Claiming Benefits Whilst Contracting - Allowed??"

Collapse

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    because two wrongs dont make a right
    But two Wrights make an aeroplane.

So does that mean that if I return to the UK from New Zealand next year I can go on the dole (I have a UK passport because I was born in the UK) while I hunt for a contract?

Is there a stand-down period? How much IS the dole these days?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The point is that you are entitled to the benefits. The means tests in the UK do not take into account money owned by a company that you own.

It's only hiding your means if you hide money that's legally yours.

Three ways I can think of tackling this:

1. Do take into account the wealth of any company that you own, or part thereof.
    2. Legislate so that it will be fraud to arrange your affairs in such a way that you are artificially entitled to benefits.
    3. Appoint benefits officers who decide who is entitled to benefits, based on their own judgement of what's fair.

This last option is probably the one that Gordon and his Morons would favour. And would love to apply to the tax system as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    We can't refuse to pay taxes that we think are immoral, so why should we not claim benefit were NOT entitled to, due to moral qualms?
    Fixed that for you. Means testing doesn't imply it's OK if you hide your means.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You are a bad girl. Go to my room.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Sit down there, now, Pogle, there's a good girl.

We have something to tell you...

You were adopted...
    and, about Lotte

well a giant alien lizard gets hungry you know

-zeity

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    and as for YOU young lady,
    go to your room, you are grounded for a week

Sharn't and YOU cant make me
    and I bet you're not my real parents either,
    I hate you I hate you I hate you

<Slams door>

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    But 3 rights do make a left

IGMC
    and as for YOU young lady,
    go to your room, you are grounded for a week

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Yes, dad.
    son, you're gonna look mighty stupid with that ski pole sticking outta your ass

-Clint Optimist in 'A fist full of benefit Dollars'

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Ok - Very simple question and I am sure the answer is straightforward.

If you are a contractor and being paid £5 an hour can you apply for council tax benefits and everything else that you might be entitled too??
    This is a very poor sockpuppet. 2/10.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Yes, dad.

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

IGMC
    Only in Euclidean space

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    We can't refuse to pay taxes that we think are immoral, so why should we not claim benefit were entitled to, due to moral qualms?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    We can't refuse to pay taxes that we think are immoral, so why should we not claim benefit were entitled to, due to moral qualms?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Such as ?
    Don't know, never claimed any. I have a couple of mates who have 2 garage businesses between the 3 of them. Raking it in. All take lower salaries than the staff. All get some kind of benefit. I think it is family related.

If you're not happy with what you're earning, why not just phone up your agent/client and ask for a rate increase. A lot easier than messing about filling in forms and trying to get every last penny out of the system.
    It is not about being unhappy with my rate, it is about playing the Government at their own game.
    They will chase us for every last penny, it is only fair that we claim every penny we are entitled to.

Leave a comment:

• Hector
    replied
    Make sure that you declare any benefit income on your Self Assessment return.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X