• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Benefits Whilst Contracting - Allowed??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    We can't refuse to pay taxes that we think are immoral, so why should we not claim benefit were NOT entitled to, due to moral qualms?
    Fixed that for you. Means testing doesn't imply it's OK if you hide your means.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The point is that you are entitled to the benefits. The means tests in the UK do not take into account money owned by a company that you own.

It's only hiding your means if you hide money that's legally yours.

Three ways I can think of tackling this:

1. Do take into account the wealth of any company that you own, or part thereof.
      2. Legislate so that it will be fraud to arrange your affairs in such a way that you are artificially entitled to benefits.
      3. Appoint benefits officers who decide who is entitled to benefits, based on their own judgement of what's fair.

This last option is probably the one that Gordon and his Morons would favour. And would love to apply to the tax system as well.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        because two wrongs dont make a right
        But two Wrights make an aeroplane.

So does that mean that if I return to the UK from New Zealand next year I can go on the dole (I have a UK passport because I was born in the UK) while I hunt for a contract?

Is there a stand-down period? How much IS the dole these days?

Comment

Working...
        X