• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Download ASP Site

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Download ASP Site"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Does anyone know how to download an ASP Website.

I have been using WinHTTRack but it can only go so far. The website is written using ASP and I wish to follow all of the links and get downloaded locally.

Anyone have an ideas?
    One word: wget

For example, if you wanted to snaffle a local copy of R F Streater's physics site:

wget -erobots=off --mirror -p -w 2 --convert-links -P C:\streater http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~streater/

In this example the options are:
    -erobots=off => ignore robots.txt file settings (naughty!)
    -m[irror] => mirror site on local drive (change all site links to "file://" links)
    -p => Get all associated components from site like images and CSS files
    -w # => pause # seconds between each download (to avoid snowing site under with requests)
    -r => recursive (grab sub-links on same site recursively)
    -u mozilla => present wget as mozilla browser

I think these options should do what you want, without trying to mirror the whole Internet for example. But it is slightly confusing, as different versions of wget use different combinations to achieve the same end.

But needless to say, it can only get a "connected" set of web pages; so if a site happens to comprise more than one link-disjoint set of pages or a partially ordered set with more than one "maximal" page (for example, downward links that don't each recursively span every page on the site) you'll need to do a wget for for a set of pages that does span the site, if that makes sense.

edit: Sorry, I see several people have already mentioned wget. But as Bunk pointed out, you can get a Windows version.

There's also cURL ; but I haven't used that recently.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 September 2009, 22:04.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    You want teleport pro.

Does exactly what you want

TM

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    You can download wget for Windows.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Came across that but dont have Linux setup
    Can you install cygwin to give you access to Linux tools on your Windows box?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    In which case can you get him to dump the file structure onto a cd/dvd for you?

Or make it accessable via ftp so you can grab the whole thing that way?
    The problem is MF then has to have the server side stuff to use it.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Came across that but dont have Linux setup.

Surely there is some straight forward software somewhere can recommend.

Basically Im putting together an online catalogue of a supplier of mine for upload into my own website(Im allowed to do this). But Im trying to automate the process and need the site locally to do it.
    In which case can you get him to dump the file structure onto a cd/dvd for you?

Or make it accessable via ftp so you can grab the whole thing that way?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Are there any Firefox tools/plugins that might help? Might be worth a look?

Edit: on the wrong machine at the mo so can't check my own toolkits.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Came across that but dont have Linux setup.

Surely there is some straight forward software somewhere can recommend.

Basically Im putting together an online catalogue of a supplier of mine for upload into my own website(Im allowed to do this). But Im trying to automate the process and need the site locally to do it.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

I have been using WinHTTRack but it can only go so far. The website is written using ASP and I wish to follow all of the links and get downloaded locally.

Anyone have an ideas?
    Disclaimer : I am not advocating scraping sites you don't own or otherwise have permission to do this to.

If you have access to a Linux box or a nix type command line shell you can get it with wget. There is some tidying up to do afterwards but it should at least get all the pages for you.

Otherwise it's a pain in the arse to scrape asp sites because of the way they tend to be structured and the way the links between pages are constructed.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I want to download the site locally so I can navigate it.

Ideally I would like to go through all the links and download it locally (converting to HTML even).

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Nothing except hacking the site will get you the source code

Was possible with older, unpatched versions of IIS

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Nothing except hacking the site will get you the source code

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Anyone have an ideas?
    Do you want to get the ASP source code?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    started a topic Download ASP Site

Download ASP Site

Anyone have an ideas?

Working...
X