• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Voice recognition software"

Collapse

• Tingles
    replied
    Just bought copy of Dragon naturally speaking 10. I'm surprised at the accuracy of the product. I used to use IBM ViaVoice a few years ago and spent most of the time trying to correct the text. I'm actually dictating now.

T

Leave a comment:

• LostInBrussels
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Anybody actually used it effectively?

The latest Dragon NS says it's 99% accurate and I've seen it used on Youtube at 200wpm.
    Another Youtube link for ya:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgWES4oBhs

Just hope voice recognition software has moved on since.
    Last edited by LostInBrussels; 2 September 2009, 11:37.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    You see where you went wrong?
    It was the best balance transfer deal, according to that money saving bloke. Beyond that I don't really care.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I tried to activate my Virgin credit card last week:
    You see where you went wrong?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I tried to activate my Virgin credit card last week:

Virgin: What do you want to do? Just say it.
    Me: I want to activate my card.
    Virgin: I'm sorry. What do you want to do?
    Me: I want to activate my card.
    Virgin: I'm sorry. Press 1 for customer services, 2 for...

So I press 1.

Virgin: Tell us your card number.
    Me: (says the card number).
    Virgin: I'm sorry. Tell us your card number.
    Me: (says the card number).
    Virgin: I'm sorry. You can use the number keys on your phone.
    Me: FFS.

(Enters the number on the phone).

Virgin: Your balance is £0 and 0 pence.
    Me: Now what? Have I activated my card?
    Virgin: I'm sorry.

They phoned me up a couple of days later to ask why I hadn't activated my card yet.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    How do they produce subtitles on TV? I sometimes wonder if they use voice recognition software, as when mistakes often occur, the spelling is close to a phonically similar sounding word. Either that or it's done on the much cheapness and plenty quickness.
    I believe they have a group of speed typists hence the corking errors.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    For more information on this subject say "ONE"

You have selected "COVENTRY", thank you for your post, goodbye.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    How do they produce subtitles on TV? I sometimes wonder if they use voice recognition software, as when mistakes often occur, the spelling is close to a phonically similar sounding word. Either that or it's done on the much cheapness and plenty quickness.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

The latest Dragon NS says it's 99% accurate and I've seen it used on Youtube at 200wpm.
    It's pretty good for limited voice commands, and when trained for a known voice or a limited subject and vocabulary.

But it's still not much good for unknown voices in general conversation, as SpinVox know to their cost (according to the BBC).

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Perhaps things have moved on a bit since 2000?
    Mate of mine has installed a clever voice recog phone system in a London council. Its bloody clever, recognises real voice commands even when they are not in the "right" format.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Don't! In 2000 some techy gonk sat opposite me spent two whole days trying to train it his voice and I nearly shoved his head through his CRT monitor in the end.
    Perhaps things have moved on a bit since 2000?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Don't! In 2000 some techy gonk sat opposite me spent two whole days trying to train it his voice and I nearly shoved his head through his CRT monitor in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tingles View Post

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You've just got to love the Internet F***-Up Fairy.
    Yes, yes ,yes.....

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    The latest Dragon NS says it's 99% accruate and I've seen it used on Youtube at 200wpm.
    You've just got to love the Internet F***-Up Fairy.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    started a topic Voice recognition software

Voice recognition software

Last edited by Tingles; 1 September 2009, 19:12.

Working...
X