• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The sound of silence"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Pneumatic drill on a ripped up concrete. Baby wails, a stray dog howling
    Jam or Morrissey version? I can never decide, The Jam musically but Morrissey vocaly... the should have done a collaboration for the ultimate version.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The sound of a horse beathing as it chlls out with its head in your lap. Wonderful

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    the swoop of a heron's wing as it reclaims the canal as its territory.

oh and to lower the tone - oh yes oh yes harder!

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    get a job

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    That's some odd nature.
    I know. And I sat and thought about it too.

What is 'nature'?

Is it the pruned-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life garden with it closely shaved lawn?

The completely artificial moors?

The planted woodland?

The manufactured farms?

The hand-dug Norfolk broads?

The dredged estuaries?

The man-made beaches with their groins and retained cliffs?

Or is it an appreciation of the environment around us? That environment, for me, includes the artificial water channels and the life that goes on around them. I most appreciate nature by the slow and gentle nature of canal navigation. I can take in what is around me and see things that even the towpath walkers do not see.

But it is the engine that makes it special. The rhythmic thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thump of the engine at a low heartbeat rate makes the world slow down. All the little noises of day-to-day disappear, particularly the planes overhead and the traffic noise from the roads in the distance.

After a few moments you do not hear the engine, it is like gliding along in silence. And all around you is hedgerows and birds and little mammals and fish and ducks and insects. And you can hear the gentle little splashes fish make, the chirruping of grasshoppers, the chatter of squirrels in the trees, the tiny splash of twigs falling in the water.

Yes, it is an odd nature. But you're nearer to nature on the canal than in a garden.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Pneumatic drill on a ripped up concrete. Baby wails, a stray dog howling

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    is it me, or is that bollock getting hairier ?
    Just like me, as it ages it has new hairs sprouting from everywhere except the top.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Cicadas on a warm mediterranean evening.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Defo the sea.
    Doing what?

If it's crashing onto a rocky shore then yup, whs!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Defo the sea.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    That's some odd nature.
    is it me, or is that bollock getting hairier ?

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    The steady thump of the diesel engine on a trad narrowboat.
    That's some odd nature.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    The steady thump of the diesel engine on a trad narrowboat.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    What is your favourite sound in nature ?
    It will be the sound of my ex-wifes ashes being scattered on the wind.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Cicadas on a warm mediterranean evening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X