• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The sound of silence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Cicadas on a warm mediterranean evening.
    +1
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      is it me, or is that bollock getting hairier ?
      Just like me, as it ages it has new hairs sprouting from everywhere except the top.

Comment

Pneumatic drill on a ripped up concrete. Baby wails, a stray dog howling
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          That's some odd nature.
          I know. And I sat and thought about it too.

What is 'nature'?

Is it the pruned-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life garden with it closely shaved lawn?

The completely artificial moors?

The planted woodland?

The manufactured farms?

The hand-dug Norfolk broads?

The dredged estuaries?

The man-made beaches with their groins and retained cliffs?

Or is it an appreciation of the environment around us? That environment, for me, includes the artificial water channels and the life that goes on around them. I most appreciate nature by the slow and gentle nature of canal navigation. I can take in what is around me and see things that even the towpath walkers do not see.

But it is the engine that makes it special. The rhythmic thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thump of the engine at a low heartbeat rate makes the world slow down. All the little noises of day-to-day disappear, particularly the planes overhead and the traffic noise from the roads in the distance.

After a few moments you do not hear the engine, it is like gliding along in silence. And all around you is hedgerows and birds and little mammals and fish and ducks and insects. And you can hear the gentle little splashes fish make, the chirruping of grasshoppers, the chatter of squirrels in the trees, the tiny splash of twigs falling in the water.

Yes, it is an odd nature. But you're nearer to nature on the canal than in a garden.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

get a job

Comment

the swoop of a heron's wing as it reclaims the canal as its territory.

oh and to lower the tone - oh yes oh yes harder!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The sound of a horse beathing as it chlls out with its head in your lap. Wonderful
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Pneumatic drill on a ripped up concrete. Baby wails, a stray dog howling
                  Jam or Morrissey version? I can never decide, The Jam musically but Morrissey vocaly... the should have done a collaboration for the ultimate version.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                  X