• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "English people haven't changed much"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Japanese like the Americans and they dropped two atomic bombs on them.
    Blaster, you seem prone to making huge, sweeping statements without any evidence whatsoever to back them up.

It occurs to me that "The Japanese" (all of 127,000,000 of them) might have somewhat differing opinions on this, and any other topic.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I read a Scot on another board defying us to name another country that liked the English. He may have a point. I originally thought of Portugal, but the holidaymakers on the Algarve and the Maddie business may have dented our appeal there.
    The American's quite like our accents.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Where did you get the article from. I enjoyed reading it and then wondered how long from your sad life did you spend searching for it. Benched are you? People on a downer often try to cope by rubbishing others - individuals or whole nations. I'm sure things will get better for you eventually, but it helps to be positive. Then people will see you in a better light.
    Mr Cranium got it right. Actually working very hard, I was reading it on my e-book in my hotel (as its non copyright you can download it for free) and many of the statements in it seem so true today...in particular when I read some of the comments from people here and can relate them to that book.

I had a dream about a BJ last night as well, strange that.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    You offering are you?

I know a refusal might offends but I really don't require your services. Maybe you can help Darnstat. You and him have a lot in common. You could help each other.
    You should lay off those 'make me an arsehole' pills.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Looks like The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell to me. Link.

Blimey. You're in need of a BJ, aren't you?
    You offering are you?

I know a refusal might offends but I really don't require your services. Maybe you can help Darnstat. You and him have a lot in common. You could help each other.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Where did you get the article from.
    Looks like The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell to me. Link.

how long from your sad life did you spend searching for it. Benched are you? People on a downer often try to cope by rubbishing others - individuals or whole nations. I'm sure things will get better for you eventually, but it helps to be positive. Then people will see you in a better light.
    Blimey. You're in need of a BJ, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Still the same old, same old...
    Where did you get the article from. I enjoyed reading it and then wondered how long from your sad life did you spend searching for it. Benched are you? People on a downer often try to cope by rubbishing others - individuals or whole nations. I'm sure things will get better for you eventually, but it helps to be positive. Then people will see you in a better light.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Iceland *did* like the English, until Gordon Brown accused them of being terrorists.
    B*llocks they were called terrorists. What happened was that some anti terror laws were used to freeze Iceland assets and subsequently secure the return of billions of British savers (and council and charity) funds. A means to an end if nothing less.

PS: GB and most of our government are Scots - and look what a mess they've made.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Iceland *did* like the English, until Gordon Brown accused them of being terrorists.
    So the cod wars were a myth then?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's a stupid question. Within any country there are thousands of individuals who will like or dislike nationalities as they see fit.

But to answer a stupid question, Malta. They like the English.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Any big nation is disliked. Most American flags sold I reckon are burnt.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I read a Scot on another board defying us to name another country that liked the English. He may have a point. I originally thought of Portugal, but the holidaymakers on the Algarve and the Maddie business may have dented our appeal there.
    It's a stupid question. Within any country there are thousands of individuals who will like or dislike nationalities as they see fit.

But to answer a stupid question, Malta. They like the English.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    He has a point but the same would apply to many others: think of the French, the Americans, the Germans....

On the other side of it, the English often earn respect even from those who begin by not liking them (and sometimes remain not liking them). It seems to me that that is something to be proud of, and perhaps something that many English people themselves would prefer to simply being liked.
    you dont judge the quality of a country by its friends, but by its enemies.

or something

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    He has a point but the same would apply to many others: think of the French, the Americans, the Germans....

On the other side of it, the English often earn respect even from those who begin by not liking them (and sometimes remain not liking them). It seems to me that that is something to be proud of, and perhaps something that many English people themselves would prefer to simply being liked.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Japanese like the Americans and they dropped two atomic bombs on them.
    thats called 'please dont do that fcker again' syndrome

Leave a comment:

Working...
X