• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Price of a bed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Price of a bed"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    £1500 altogether - King size boxer bed from John Lewis cost about a £1000 and two men had to come and construct it in the bedroom
    Mattress was £500.

It is really high up and firm and I love it. Its the most comfy bed in the world

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    If I was short of funds then I would buy a second hand solid wooden (real wood not Ikea tulipe) base and the best mattress that I could afford.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Oh and don't buy a water bed - they'll drift apart.

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    My brother has recently got married and they have moved into their first home. Found out at the weekend that they're sleeping on a mattress on the floor until they can afford a bed. My original present was to help out considerably towards their honeymoon (it's being delayed due to their work commitments) but now Im thinking of suggesting buying a bed.

a) Is it a weird idea buying a bed for my brother and spouse?
    b) How much did you pay for your current bed?
    c) More curiosity really: what style bed do you have?

Chef
    £1800 from Harrods (made in Italy). The mattress sits on a hydraulic platform. Raise the mattress and there's storage space underneath. Shame I didn't get a remote with it as well.

P.S no jokes saying that's the only thing that rises in my bed.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I wouldn't buy them one from IKEA - they'll be on the brink of divorce by the time they've assembled it.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Just to answer a question you didn't ask: there are standard sizes for beds, mattresses, and bedclothes; and IKEA's stuff is not standard sizes. So if any of the elements is from IKEA, they all have to be.
    Oh, good point.

We bought an Imperial size mattress (King size), which is plainly not compatible with continental (IKEA & some stores) frames. And vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Paid about a grand. It`s an old aged knickel kind of four poster but with lots of bars - great for handcuffs and things.

Nothing wrong with buying a bed, but maybe not a good idea to go round shops with his Mrs testing beds out........

Not sure I would buy someone a bed they didn`t help to choose themselves - it`s quite a personal item.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    My brother has recently got married and they have moved into their first home. Found out at the weekend that they're sleeping on a mattress on the floor until they can afford a bed. My original present was to help out considerably towards their honeymoon (it's being delayed due to their work commitments) but now Im thinking of suggesting buying a bed.

b) How much did you pay for your current bed?
    c) More curiosity really: what style bed do you have?

Chef
    Just to answer a question you didn't ask: there are standard sizes for beds, mattresses, and bedclothes; and IKEA's stuff is not standard sizes. So if any of the elements is from IKEA, they all have to be.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by MrToast View Post
    Not at all. Just make sure that you buy the bed and then get a 12" x 8" framed photo of yourself in 'double thumbs up and winking' pose and fasten it to the headboard.
    Have it permanently laminated

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrToast View Post
    Not at all. Just make sure that you buy the bed and then get a 12" x 8" framed photo of yourself in 'double thumbs up and winking' pose and fasten it to the headboard.

Leave a comment:

• MrToast
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    a) It's a nice idea, but give them vouchers at Dreams or John Lewis so they can choose it themselves - it'd be weird if you chose the actual bedframe.
    b) For a half-decent one, anywhere between £500-£700.
    c) One of these.
    Aye - that sound best.

It might be a bit lost on them, but this place has nice beds

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    80's style bunk bed ..with slide
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You got me crying with laughter. Oh dear, my tummy muscles hurt!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    80's style bunk bed ..with slide
    That wouldn't kill the moment - I'd be thinking "wahey! an adventure playground evening in!".

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    You should have gone to the adult section when buying, instead of the kids ones ...

Nothing like killing the moment than turning up in your lucky nights room and she's got a novelty hippo bed.
    You got me crying with laughter. Oh dear, my tummy muscles hurt!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X