• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Notice periods

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice periods"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Have I stumbled into the Jeremy Kyle show?
    DNA test results after the break...

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Have I stumbled into the Jeremy Kyle show?

...........Wanders off to find CUK again.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    ....... I would honestly see joking about the stability of someone's marriage as a no go area tbh..........
    .........programmer I am helping is a lass, from Scouseland who is a really lovely lady. She just confided she has split from her long term boyfriend and is really upset. I really feel for her as she is such a genuinely lovely person. I am (for the record) happily married with 3 kids, but to take the usual demob happy approach seems wrong to me........
    I think to be fair - YOU STARTED IT!
    Then you repeated (a few times) "I am happily married" to elicit a few more "go for it boy!" comments......

If you didn't want to trigger a few jibes about shagging the scouse you would obviously never have mentioned her or certainly never mentioned her being "lovely", "split from boyfriend" etc

We know that you got canned.... Most of us sympathise..... Most of us are happy to have a bit of banter with you to lift your spirits.... but FFS if you start off a thread implying the chance of a quick knobbing before you go DON'T get all shirty when you get the bleeding obvious responses (that you must have expected or even hoped for!!!)

Just my 2p

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    That's irony, that is...

Particularly since you got married last Saturday...

(How did it go BP, btw)

You're too sensitive sometimes SY01 - you take this forum a little too personally.

Don't do the same thing with the iamaprats...
    Only regarding things that are important to me. I would honestly see joking about the stability of someone's marriage as a no go area tbh. Especially if they were recently married themselves.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Sounds like you are trying to convince everyone. Particularly yourself.

Anyway : happily married is an oxymoron.
    That's irony, that is...

Particularly since you got married last Saturday...

(How did it go BP, btw)

You're too sensitive sometimes SY01 - you take this forum a little too personally.

Don't do the same thing with the norks...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    The best you can do is help her to thoroughly understand what's already done. Realistically there's not much you can add in 2 days, and the harder you try the more bugs you'll leave behind.
    I always plan to do no new coding in my last week on a project for that reason, though it seldom works out like that.

Oh, and remove any personal belongings from the client site now. You can take the girl out of Liverpool...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    That was actually a serious suggestion, however impractical.

Get someone to babysit, have that last night in the hotel together, the Missus goes shopping on your last morning and you go back home together.

And yes, I'm on the bench. Your seat is now the one on the end, not under the awning, with the splinters and the screw head sticking out. Ignore the silvery trails, unless you are happy to believe they are from snails.

And get that bloody web service finished and stop drivelling on here, you work-shy bugger.

Cuddle up next to you next week then. If your still on the bench that is. You never know. Chin up.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Get you wife to come up for the goodbye meal.
    Still on the bench then. Get a life.
    That was actually a serious suggestion, however impractical.

Get someone to babysit, have that last night in the hotel together, the Missus goes shopping on your last morning and you go back home together.

And yes, I'm on the bench. Your seat is now the one on the end, not under the awning, with the splinters and the screw head sticking out. Ignore the silvery trails, unless you are happy to believe they are from snails.

And get that bloody web service finished and stop drivelling on here, you work-shy bugger.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Oh, Scourer. You've only been married five days!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Was that an idea from N@rksome Nora's, the Sexy Scouse Strumpet?

Still on the bench then. Get a life.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    To that end that have organised dinner for next Monday night. Which was nice.
    Was that an idea from N@rksome Nora's, the Sexy Scouse Strumpet?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Sure. Whatever you say. I wish you well.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I repeat.

I am happily married.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    It's not all bad.

Just broke the news to a few permie colleagues as they might need to know stuff before I go. After the obligatory surprised and shocked responses, one commented on how I was the first contractor "in a long while not to leave under a cloud". Apparently there is a track record of contractors getting hacked of and jumping ship.

You've been canned! to me that = leaving under a cloud

Those other contractors obviously had the foresight to quit before allowing the PM the sadistic pleasure of giving them the boot. If you've got any gumption you'll at least surreptitiously scratch his car before you leave .

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Sounds like a date *

* just continuing the general theme but DON'T DO IT.

Do what you can but don't kill yourself over it. Who knows, they may find another months money from somewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X