• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Drug use is good for you??"

Collapse

• Funkywood
    replied
    Wading into this I'll add my own points. The things I mention that usually aren't already are:

1. Prohibition is merely the highest form of deterrent. It doesn't stop anyone who really wants to from taking drugs. There are plenty of other forms of deterrent like education that could be paid for with the taxes from legal suppliers.

2. Kids actually have greater access to illegal drugs than adults since, unlike adults
    a. They tend to have bigger social circles through school that cross into lower classes of society.
    b. They know they can only be prosecuted as a minor and pretty much get away with things.
    c. They know that other 13 year old can't possibly be an undercover cop.

3rd is my idea of licensing drug use like driving. This means the liberty of the many isn't affected by the actions of a minority.
    - You have to be (17) to get a license.
    - If you abuse the right or are found to be incapable of using it responsibly and safely that license can be taken away either temporarily or permanently.
    - If you are found with drugs on or in you whilst banned or unlicensed you get locked up for longer than you would now.
    - If anyone would be willing to sell the insurance, I'd add a requirement to get insurance to pay the costs of taking, what is essentially a self imposed risk for fun like diving or driving a F1 car.
    - I'd also include alcohol in this. Idiots who who turn into violent scum after three pints should be banned from drinking, either temporarily or permanently.

All of this is a matter of changing society's attitudes.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    ... and there's an interesting article today in the Mail regarding cannabis and how just one joint can cause mental problems. I am clear on decriminalisation and always have been..... it must NEVER be allowed to happen.
    I read the other day that just one peanut can kill. Most people enjoy them with no ill effects, others cant live without them, but for some they can be deadly.
    Peanuts are legal and can be sold to children.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    tulip loads of drugs in Thailand, far, far worse problem that in the UK even though you get shot for smuggling.

You mind is obviously pickled from too much spoon licking.
    Yep - I can testify to that.... you can get them everywhere, all the islands and Bangkok - easy peasy. Not that I've ever indulged.... closest I got was inhaling other peoples smoke

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Anyway, does nobody remember Cyberman was "drug mugged" in Rio.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/876951-post4.html

I am sure if you google "ronaldo drug mugged" you will get the picture

Leave a comment:

• foggo
    replied
    ... and there's an interesting article today in the Mail regarding cannabis and how just one joint can cause mental problems. I am clear on decriminalisation and always have been..... it must NEVER be allowed to happen.
    If it were published in such an esteemed journal then it must be the final word in what is right and true on the topic.

tabloid tulip-paper - probably cheaper than by the roll too
    (would be interesting to work that out)

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    And other day there was one about how some people are allergic to WI-FI
    And other day food X cause's cancer
    And other day how same food prevents cancer
    And other day how alcohol is bad for you
    And other day how same amount of alcohol is good for you
    And other day how exercise is good for you
    And other day how exercise is bad for you
    And other day how MMR jabs were bad for you
    And other day how MMR jabs were good for you

Getting the idea?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    you truly are whiter than white aren't you? and THE most boring person I've ever known. Im sure you think you're being articulate and whitty with your "clever and informative" opinions on everything, sorry to have to tell you but you just come across as an arrogant ill-informed idiot. People arent reading what you write deciding if your correct or in awe of your "intelligence", they're simply stunned with the amount of droning on repetative cr@p you manage to spout and are trying to point this out to you.. please, think before you reply and come up with something better than the standard 3 responses you seem to have, disguised in whatever topic you are bleeting on about, obviously enjoying the sound of your own voice..

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    More people die in a day from booze than a year from drugs.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    And still you miss the point.

The medical effects of drugs on an individual have no relation to it's legality. That individual would suffer the same effects regardless.

Decriminalisation in Portugal has meant that individuals are less likely to use the drug to begin with and if they do, those who do suffer ill effects as a result are able to seek help without fear of arrest or prosecution.

As a result of this the incidence of drug related deaths and health issues in POrtugal are now far lower than they were before decriminalisation, and lower than any other country in the EU that criminialises drug use.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Nice way to ignore the bulk of my post and start an argument on semantics.

Cannabis possesion wasn't legalised in any manner, effectively, pseudo or otherwise. It was still a criminal offense to be in possession of it and you could still be arrested and prosecuted for it.

How about responding to the argument that decriminalising all drug use, as in the Portugese model, actually works? As opposed to the "War On Drugs" approach.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The only reason we struggle to contain drugs smuggling is that the penalties are not high enough. Thailand seems to manage, for pretty obvious reasons. I'm not advocating the death penalty but throwing away the key could be a good deterrent.
    tulip loads of drugs in Thailand, far, far worse problem that in the UK even though you get shot for smuggling.

You mind is obviously pickled from too much spoon licking.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Switzerland has a relatively high number of drug users. And a very low level of drug related crime. All since decriminalisation.

Leave a comment:

• foggo
    replied
    It's all a dream anyway

So said Bill Hicks. But he may have been on something, nicotine or whatever

http://www.mp3link.org/Bill%20Hicks_...g/details.html

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I never said that it was legalised. I said 'effectively' legalised... ie: pseudo legalised. Do you understand english ?
    Nice way to ignore the bulk of my post and start an argument on semantics.

Cannabis possesion wasn't legalised in any manner, effectively, pseudo or otherwise. It was still a criminal offense to be in possession of it and you could still be arrested and prosecuted for it.

How about responding to the argument that decriminalising all drug use, as in the Portugese model, actually works? As opposed to the "War On Drugs" approach.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    The only reason we struggle to contain drugs smuggling is that the penalties are not high enough. Thailand seems to manage, for pretty obvious reasons. I'm not advocating the death penalty but throwing away the key could be a good deterrent.
    And on the flip side you have America, with it's zero tolerance (personally know someone over there who is currently serving a year and half....for half a joint found under the seat of his car), it's high jail sentences, it's 3 strikes laws which has only resulted in the biggest prison population in the world and no reduction in drug use or drug related crime

Some argue, if anything, it has increased it, because get caught in one youthful indiscretion relating to drugs and your life is destroyed forever, not leaving you many options except drugs to make your way, either that or minimum wage for rest of your life

Leave a comment:

Working...
X