• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Automotive Carnage

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Automotive Carnage"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I daresay that, if there had been a speed limit, every single one of the people involved would have been explaining that "I only exceed the speed limit when I know it's safe to do so... it's those other idiots... I'm a good driver, I know how to deal with difficult conditions... it's those other idiots... I'm perfectly safe because I'm the best driver the world has ever seen... it's those other idiots..." in exactly the manner we see on here whenever anybody dares to suggest that enforcement of the legal restrictions on the speed you're allowed to drive at in this country might actually be sensible.
    Generally Germans obey the speed limits in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I daresay that, if there had been a speed limit, every single one of the people involved would have been explaining that "I only exceed the speed limit when I know it's safe to do so... it's those other idiots... I'm a good driver, I know how to deal with difficult conditions... it's those other idiots... I'm perfectly safe because I'm the best driver the world has ever seen... it's those other idiots..." in exactly the manner we see on here whenever anybody dares to suggest that enforcement of the legal restrictions on the speed you're allowed to drive at in this country might actually be sensible.
    Enforcing the speed limits in urban areas is extremely important. I am not convinced about motorways though. In fact I believe speed limit could be raised to 100mph.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Except this was Germany so its Germans first and then by the type of car that you were driving

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    OK, I give up.

I have spent 15 minutes trying to find the Rowan Atkinson sketch about driving statistics. I thought it was from The Secret Policemen's Ball.

He rants on about casualties and deaths in various European countries. Then a pause.

"This is simply. Not. Good. Enough. There are MILLIONS of these bloody Europeans and we'll never get through them at this rate. It is your duty as British citizens to do your bit. When driving on the continent, DRIVE ON THE LEFT."

Can anyone find us a link?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    how do you do triage in something like that ???

who decides who get taken to hospital and in what order ? who takes charge ?

it cant simply be first come, first served

The emergency services have major incident processes they work to for something like this and all three will have rehearsed them together.

Essentially the incident area is divided up with a local OIC for each section reporting back to the incident commander who prioritizes resources as they arrive. The OIC's for each area then direct them where they are needed.

Individuals are assessed as and when they are found and triaged as needed.

But yes, it's basically controlled chaos until they get a proper grasp of the situation and start being able to ship patients off to hospital.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

That's the point of triage, it is fast and easy and suitable for huge numbers of casualties.

0. Are they dead? Leave them.
    1. Can they wait? Leave them.
    2. Are they dying mess? Leave them.
    3. Would immediate aid save their life / a limb? Go no further: treat them / send them for treatment.
    Go to next casualty.

Any trained first aider can do this.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    German drivers are not best and in the wet they are a nightmare.
    I don't know Schumacher was pretty much unstoppable in the wet.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    That ABD info is interesting, but the way they extrapolate it is of course skewed by their agenda. They say we're safest in Europe despite having the busiest roads - maybe it's because rather than despite - you can't do much damage in a 10mph jam which is where I seem to spend most time driving. Also IIRC Portugal is so dangerous because the penalty for drink driving is an on the spot fine of about ten pence.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    A quick google found this

http://www.abd.org.uk/safest_roads.htm

If the stats are to be trusted then my observations are born out.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Any stats to back that up? I have seem some appaling UK driving in the wet.
    Cant give you the stats, but have been driving on the mainland for 10 years now. I could relate any number of incidents and in my experience the UK has the better drivers, though not by much and getting worse. I have seen spectacular incompetence and arrogance in both places.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Any stats to back that up? I have seem some appaling UK driving in the wet.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    259 cars involved, to be precise !! Crazy idiots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159290.stm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X