• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Open university degree"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Of course you couldn't. Currently fewer women than men study science. These bursaries are intended to redress that balance by encouraging more women to study science. They are in themselves intended to discriminate, in order to repair a presumed discrimination in the other direction which prevents women studying science in equal numbers.
    ...ah yes, of course. Funny how discrimination is only ever a one way street isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I have a degree, but did an short OU course on the History of Mathematics, just for fun.
    I enjoyed it, and may go and do more courses when I have more time. Although I would have difficulty choosing between paleontology or astronomy.
    Astronomy, ftw.

It's got so much mathematics in it ... very cool.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    If I decided I wanted to do another degree (never going to happen, but never mind), and applied for one of these bursaries, and was turned down because I have the audacity to be male.....I wonder if I could sue the government for sexual discrimination?
    Of course you couldn't. Currently fewer women than men study science. These bursaries are intended to redress that balance by encouraging more women to study science. They are in themselves intended to discriminate, in order to repair a presumed discrimination in the other direction which prevents women studying science in equal numbers.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    You can get a bursary for adult study at the Open University in Science, Engineering, and Technology fields. It is funding from the government via the UK Resource Centre for Women, and yes, there is one essential qualification.
    If I decided I wanted to do another degree (never going to happen, but never mind), and applied for one of these bursaries, and was turned down because I have the audacity to be male.....I wonder if I could sue the government for sexual discrimination?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Sorted!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    You can get a bursary for adult study at the Open University in Science, Engineering, and Technology fields. It is funding from the government via the UK Resource Centre for Women, and yes, there is one essential qualification.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I have a degree, but did an short OU course on the History of Mathematics, just for fun.
    I enjoyed it, and may go and do more courses when I have more time. Although I would have difficulty choosing between paleontology or astronomy.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    All I can say is - don't think it will be an easy option. It is very tough and demanding, especially if you want to get a good grade.

As to it's value - that will depend on the beholder. Some see it is a sign of superb self discipline and commitment and intellect - others see it as a weak degree, even a 1st.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Kudos to anyone who gets a good OU degree while working full time in my book. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Don't do a law degree. Every man and his dog is doing one.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I am in my final year of my part time BSc, while holding down a full time job.

All I can say it be prepared for the amount of work you will need to put in, writing a report is easy - its the research that is a pain

Motivation is a key issue, I get mine form the simple fact that no degree = no job, as you are doing this for self improvement pick a subject that you will not get bored with

I agree with alreadypacked in that you may not learn new facts but its how you view / use those facts that changes.

Above all enjoy it

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    If you start with something that you think you do know, you might get a different theoretical view on it; you will also be able to pass the exams without much work. This has 2 sides to it: you will be able to imagine how much work it would take if you didn't know the subject already, but if you don't think clearly about it then you may get an optimistic view of how much you are able to do.

The former was my case: I decided that if I had been doing something unfamiliar to me, I would not have put in enough work (or it would have been a penance), so I didn't continue with it for the moment.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    Hey, slow friday here...so ideas are flying

I left school at 16, so no A-levels or degree...but have 9 years coding experience now...and getting a good rate.

Have been looking through the Open uni prospectus, not really sure what to do...thinking about Maths or biology... Dont see the point in doing computing (I know it all already innit).

Anyone have any experience?
    What is the general opinion on Open uni degrees?

Was thinking a maths or a statistics degree could help get me some finance contracts, although this isn't the reason for doing it.

Thanking yous
    I did my undergraduate degree with the Open University. However, I would avoid doing any Maths Degree with them at the moment, as they are going through a cull in the Maths Department right now. Before you decide what subject you are going to do, give them a call and ask them if they can advise you of the availability of the Maths Degree courses for the next 5 years (typical time to complete a Degree with the Open University and typical shelf-life). I'm doing my Post-Graduate with the Open University right now.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    I did my MSc at the OU, cant say I gained anything that helps me on a day to day basis, but enjoyed it all the same.

As an alternative, you may want to consider London University external programme- http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/ Same degree, exams, topics as the regular day students but no attendance required.

Cant remember who asked about Law degrees, try UEL external - http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/law/...te/law-ics.htm. Im part way through one of the other degrees (my 5th) in this range and have found it to be well run and worthwhile.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    So is undertaking.
    Boom industry. Ask CyberGhoul.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X